Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stammering

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

Stammering Empty
PostSubject: Stammering   Stammering EmptyTue 23 Dec 2008, 8:30 pm

My little boy was 3 in October, he was a late talker, didn't really say much other than 'tractor' until he was over two and half! He's made up for it since though, he never shuts up now!!!!!!!! Shocked

He's just started stammering though. I wonder if it's because he's so excited he can't get the words out quickly enough, or something like that, but my brother has a stammer that he developed at around the same age (he's 27 now!).

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advice on how we should handle it? Currently, I just let him finish, don't interrupt him and don't try to second guess what he's saying, but do I need to be doing anything else?

Thanks

Nicki
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Forum Friend
Lesley

Stammering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stammering   Stammering EmptyTue 23 Dec 2008, 8:49 pm

Hi Nicki,

Isaac is now 2yrs 8 months and didn't say anything until after his second birthday but like your little boy never shuts up now. He also has started to stammer which I questioned with his speach therapist and she thought it was most likely caused by his lack of concentration (which is appalling). She said to work on his concentration and ignore the stammer for now but if we get worried or he is still doing it in a year or so she will look at him again.

If you have had speach therapy (even if you are now discharged) I would give them a quick ring to just ease your own mind if nothing else. hth.

Lesley xxx
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Stammering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stammering   Stammering EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 11:59 am

Hi Nicki,

I agree with everything Lesley just said!!!!

Concentration for prem babies in particular can be a real issue! You are doing all the right things in helping him by giving him lots of time & patience to get out what he is trying to say.
Do try to ensure everyone else is as consistent with him too!

Be aware though, that he may well get frustrated & stroppy if he cant communicate his needs and sometimes reinforcing what he is saying with an object or a sign can really help to overcome that hurdle.
Eg. a cup - could be the reinforment tool for a drink etc. Cbeebies has a program with Mr Tumble who also uses alot of signing that might be helpful.

What a great Mum Jon has!

Good luck & keep up the hard work, I know you will!
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

Stammering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stammering   Stammering EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 7:34 pm

Thank you ladies, I'll keep an eye (or ear Very Happy ) on it and ask the health visitor if he needs to be referred for speech therapy. His concentration is generally quite poor, although if something really grabs him he can concentrate for ages on it!

Liz, that's a good idea about making sure everyone is consistent, I'll talk to nursery in the new year to make sure that they're giving him the time to speak.

Jon likes Mr Tumble, so I shouldn't have any problems getting him to watch it! Smile

Thanks again for the advice

Nicki x
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Forum Friend
Lesley

Stammering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stammering   Stammering EmptyThu 08 Jan 2009, 7:29 pm

Hi Nicki,

Isaac's speach therapist has just given me the addy of a useful website, www.stammering.org There is a section on under 5's which gives handy hints and tips on how to deal with stammering. hth.

Lesley xxx
Back to top Go down
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

Stammering Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stammering   Stammering EmptyThu 08 Jan 2009, 7:45 pm

Hi Lesley,

What a brilliant site! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Smile

Take care

Nicki xx
Back to top Go down