Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My story

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
eli73
Forum Friend
eli73

My story Empty
PostSubject: My story   My story EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 5:50 pm

I'm very glad to have found this forum! I would like to share with you my experience
Riccardo was born at 36+5 weeks due to Hellp syndrome and PE, my pregnancy has been a little bit difficult: morning-sickness during the first three months and after that acid reflux especially in the evening so my diet has been quite poor at the beginning because of the nausea and after that because of the reflux. I lost weight in the first couple of months then I gained 9 kg in three months and then my weight was stable.
I had a miscarriage risk during week 21st, after travelling from Sweden to Italy for Easter - and I staid in bed for one week taking some pills to prevent contraction then the doctor said i was fine so i continued to work, quite hard I have to say. I have recently given a look to my agenda for that period and I'm surprised on how it looks like...it seems like i was not aware of being pregnant or maybe I was so full of energy?! I do not know anyway a lot of stress from work.
I had periodically checks with the midwife, every month and then every two weeks -after week 21st - and blood pressure was always quite low, urine samples were OK. I had some issues with iron but my midwife said it was nothing to be worried about.
During week 35 I had an additional ultrasound because i was not gaining weight, and everything was OK.
I started to feel a little bit tired, I had sometime headaches, but I thought they were due to the amount of work
The one Sunday I got up feeling not so well, i had a pain on the upper part of abdomen, but since it was in the upper part I thought it was nothing to worry about. So I took it easy, but the pain was always there in addition to that i started to have headache and difficulties to breath in the afternoon, i went to bed, I had a talk with my midwife, that told me just to relax, and I started to look up on a couple of books and on internet on possible causes. i found Hellp syndrome but I though "oh no, this is to bed, it could not happened to me". The pain was stronger and stronger and also the difficulty to breath, so at 2.00 during the night I call the hospital and they told me to go there for a check.
I went they did a visit and some exams, at the beginning they thought it was a problem with the colicistys but later in the morning they told me it was Hellp syndrome and they recommended to delivery the baby.
Since the variation of blood and liver values was not so fast they were able to induce the labor and it worked at the first trial, so at 2.00 am of the next day Riccardo was born and we were both fine.
After the delivery they start to speak also about pre-eclampsia, I think it was mainly due to proteinuria since the blood pressure was not so high (90/130).
Anyway I consider myself really lucky, since everything was so fast, I did not have even time to understand what was going on and to think about risks, and everything went well!!!
Now my big concern is what could happen if I get pregnant again, and I really would like to have another baby as soon as possible -since I'm almost 36 .

Thanks for reading
Cheers
Elisabetta
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

My story Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story EmptyThu 05 Mar 2009, 3:40 pm

Hi Eli,

I was convinced I had replied to this thread, so huge apologies for missing it.

Thank you for taking the time & courage to post your story. As I have no doubt you will have read by now, making the decision for another child after experiencing PE & HELLP is often a soul searching decision that many ladies here will testify to! And many congratulations on the arrival of Riccardo.

I wonder if your miscarriage was ever investigated? The reason I ask, is that PE & miscarriage can be linked.
We know that women who have PE tend to have stickier blood than those who dont get it. Many of these women dont know until they get pregnant & then experience a problem. Miscarriage can be a symptom of 'sticky' blood.
Unfortunatley too, the pain from HELLP is often diagnosed incorrectly as inflammation of the gall bladder (Cholysistitis).

I would suggest to you that an appointment with an expert in the field of pre-eclampsia might be a helpful first step for you. Go through your pregnancies & see if there were lessons to be learned. We know that if PE does occur again it is more likely to happen at around the same gestation follow a similar pattern or upto 2 weeks later. However there are things that can be done to maximise the potential for a less traumatic arrival.
Things like aspirin, calcium supplements, and most importantly knowledge.

Incidentally, there is increasing evidence that proteinuria is as important as high blood pressure - even with out the presence of high blood pressure - in the diagnosis & management of PE & HELLP.

Now you know what pregnancy shouldnt feel like and are informing yourself as much as possible - these will be your best defences against this horrible condition.

I hope this helps & that you will find the information & support here helpful.

Warm Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story EmptyTue 10 Mar 2009, 3:16 pm

Hi Eli,

I've only just seen your post. Yes there is a chance of this happening again and my personal one was about 40% so i decided to go ahead and try for another baby. Now i'm 38 weeks pregnant and all is normal, it can start again but they keep a close eye on you and would be able to catch it quickly. If you want another baby go for it and you won't end up regretting it forever if you don't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My story Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story Empty

Back to top Go down

My story
Page 1 of 1