Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PE and amniocentesis - any relation?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
eli73
Forum Friend
eli73

PE and amniocentesis - any relation? Empty
PostSubject: PE and amniocentesis - any relation?   PE and amniocentesis - any relation? EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 9:53 pm

Hi, thinking back to my pregnancy one of the questions I have is related to a possible relation between Hellp/PE and amniocentesis. I did amniocentesis quite late - week 17th - and developped Hellp/PE in 36th week.
Could amniocentesis have contribute to develop those syndroms?
In case of a future pregnancy can I do amniocentesis or will this increase the risk?
thanks
Elisabetta
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: PE and amniocentesis - any relation?   PE and amniocentesis - any relation? EmptyWed 04 Mar 2009, 12:54 pm

Hi Elisabetta,

I have replied to you but for some reason it didnt save on the system & therefore didnt register on the site, so please accept my apologies for getting back to you.

You are right, there is evidence to show that late amniocentesis can be a cause for increased risk of pre-eclamspia.
Here is a link to the synopsis of the study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15738029?dopt=AbstractPlus

If you need another amniocentesis, I would suggest discussing asking for it earlier rather than later with your doctors.

I hope this helps.
Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
eli73
Forum Friend
eli73

PostSubject: Re: PE and amniocentesis - any relation?   PE and amniocentesis - any relation? EmptyWed 04 Mar 2009, 9:27 pm

Dear Liz

thanks a lot!
There are so may things to be considered for a possible next pregnancy...and sometimes i have the impression that most of what i have done in my previous pregnancy has been in the direction of increasing the risk of PE...

Elisabetta
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: PE and amniocentesis - any relation?   PE and amniocentesis - any relation? EmptyThu 05 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

Hi Elisabetta,

What happened in your pregnancy was not your fault.
PE, because it is a fault within the placenta - and the placenta is developing from conception. From the moment you get pregnant, for some reason the information that goes into making the placental arteries is not received quite as it should. So whatever happens in your pregnancy is decided at conception, but does not show itself until much later. There was nothing you did or didnt do in your pregnancy that was going to change whether you were in fact going to get it.
On top of all that we trust the professionals looking after us to tell us of the risks so we can make informed choices. Again, this does not always happen.

You dont say if you are in the UK or somewhere else in the world, but I do have a list of names of experts in the UK & a few names in Europe if an appointment is something you would like to consider?

What ever else you hear though - please hear that you have no reason to feel guilty. PE is a nasty & indiscriminate condition.

Warm wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
eli73
Forum Friend
eli73

PostSubject: Re: PE and amniocentesis - any relation?   PE and amniocentesis - any relation? EmptyThu 05 Mar 2009, 8:46 pm

Hi Liz

thank you very much!
It would be great if you could suggest me some experts, I'm in Stockholm and sometime I travel to Italy (to venice area). if you do not have names in these countries i can also consider to travel to UK

Thank you again
cheers
Elisabetta
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PE and amniocentesis - any relation?   PE and amniocentesis - any relation? Empty

Back to top Go down

PE and amniocentesis - any relation?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: