Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thyroid

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lesley
Forum Friend
Lesley

Thyroid Empty
PostSubject: Thyroid   Thyroid EmptyThu 26 Feb 2009, 10:43 pm

Hi Liz,

Yet another weird question from me, sorry. Embarassed

Would an underactive thyroid complicate a second pregnancy or contribute towards pe for a second time? I ask this because when I had an ultrasound on a lump in my throat recently the sonographer said I had a lot of granulation in my thyroid. This would indicate that I will more than likely start to have problems sooner rather than later especially as my mothers thyroid stopped working in her early 50's.

I don't feel quite ready for another child yet but also feel that there is a serious time preasure on me as well. I will be 38 this year and Isaac is nearly three. I am aware that there is a 5 year window of opportunity with pe that is recommended and it took us 2 years to concieve last time. Add to this the timebomb of a crap thyroid and it makes me think I should be getting on with it now!

Sorry, rambling now, will shut up! Embarassed

Lesley xxx
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Thyroid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thyroid   Thyroid EmptyWed 04 Mar 2009, 1:02 pm

Hi Lesley,

Not a weird question at all, Ive certainly been asked it before!

Thyroid conditions are usually as a result of an auto-immune reaction and it is this that can influence a pregnancy.
Chances are that auto-immunity was bubbling away un-noticed for some time and with hypergranulation of the thyroid (generally being a slow process) may have been present in your last pregnancy. So dont see this as something else - just something that was likely to have been there before that you werent aware of.

Now you know its there - its important that your care providers know too so that appropriate care is prescribed for you.

Hope this helps - give me another nudge if you need more info!
Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
HayleyP80
Forum Friend

Thyroid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thyroid   Thyroid EmptyWed 04 Mar 2009, 9:04 pm

Hi Lesley and Liz,

Hope you don't mind me butting in Wink

Just wanted to say that I also have an underactive thyroid which was monitored throughout my pregnancies and caused no problems what so ever.
Interestingly, we had been trying for a while with Joshua and the month after my thyroid was diagnosed and I started the medication I fell pregnant.

Bit of a pain being on meds permanently but I get all my prescriptions free because of it Cool

All the best Lesley

Hayley xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thyroid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thyroid   Thyroid Empty

Back to top Go down

Thyroid
Page 1 of 1