Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fingers crossed for No:2!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
redser
New User

Fingers crossed for No:2! Empty
PostSubject: Fingers crossed for No:2!   Fingers crossed for No:2! EmptyTue 03 Mar 2009, 12:02 pm

Hello

I've been lurking here for a while. I'm 24 weeks pg with my second child and had what current consultant has labelled severe PIH in my first pg. My bp started to rise around 27 weeks, I was admitted and put on methyldopa at 29/30 weeks and I was induced at 35 weeks after my bp went crazy even on meds (I think they had added labetalol at this stage), had bp headache, epigastric pain and my platelets were dropping and babas growth was slowing down. We were really lucky (ha ha well as lucky as someone with this condition can be) as baby girl was born by forceps at 2.10kg and needed no scubu just some jaundice treatment. I had a dural tap and my bp didn't settle for months but we both came away unscathed. Baby girl is now 2 and has never looked back .

I've just had a bit of a scare this pregnancy as I had UTI symptoms went to GP, urine had leucocytes +++ and protein +. Was put on antibiotics and sent home but microscopy had come back negative so they will be following up the protein + this Friday. I am irrationally worried about this. BP was steady about 120/60 but has raised to mid 130's/70's this week (end of second trimester dip?). I have consultant appointment and growth scan next week and midwife is coming to the house to check on me Friday so I'm being closely watched I just can't seem to shake my impending feeling of possible doom Smile

I had a uterine artery doppler at 22 weeks that showed high resistance and have been taking aspirin 75mg since 20 weeks (first consultant apt). Precog guidelines seem to be followed well here except I reckon I probably should have seen consultant team and been put on aspirin earlier.

Is anyone else on the long hopeful wait to see what happens with number 2? I secretly hope to be overdue and healthy with normal bp even fighting to be let into the midwife led unit but outwardly am trying to prepare myself and my family for potential issues.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Fingers crossed for No:2! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fingers crossed for No:2!   Fingers crossed for No:2! EmptyTue 03 Mar 2009, 1:43 pm

Hi Redser,

Many congratulations on your pregnancy. I am not at all suprised to hear you are wobbling given your history and with the news of the proteinuria.
I hope we will be able to offer you the support you are looking for.

When proteinuria is discovered it is often put down to a UTI but as this has been ruled out but given your history it is pertinent that PE is considered. However protein on a dipstick can be up to 1+ and be completely unrelated. This is because you cannot quantify a dipstick with the amount of protein. Eg. is it just above a trace or nearer the 2+? Could the reading be down to error on the readers part? Cross-contamination? There are lots of reasons why a dipstick may not be too accurate.
In this case the 'gold standard' would be a 24 hour urine collection but these can be cumbersome & problematic in their owwn right. A PCR urine test would however be the 'silver standard' and is a one off collection. Its measured for the amount of protein against the creatinine levels which should stay fairly constant. And the results are back within the day.

I hope that is all just a blip, but we will be here if you need us.
Wishing an otherwise, long & uneventful pregnancy.

All the best,
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com

Fingers crossed for No:2!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Support :: My Story-
Jump to: