Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kinda worried.

Go down 
+2
Laurie
Bens_mummy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bens_mummy
Forum Friend
Bens_mummy

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptyTue 07 Apr 2009, 7:39 pm

Hi all,

Im currently 22 + 3 weeks pregnant. This morning I noticed I've started to have a pain under my right rib. It's not a severe pain but it's like achey & just annoying. It hurts when I take a deep breath or cough. I guess with my previous history of PE i'm worried something is starting to go wrong again. I know a pain under the rib can be a sign of HELLP. Have any of you who have had HELLP had this pain under the rib? If so, how would you describe it? I think it may just be a pulled muscle or something? My husband is working away for 2 weeks, so i'm home alone with a 2 yr old which some days has been rather stressful. I don't want to seem to be over reacting and go see my doctor for him to tell me it's a pulled muscle and go home and rest. Any thoughts anyone?

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Laurie
Admin

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptyTue 07 Apr 2009, 8:36 pm

Hi Ben's mum
First of all, no one is going to accuse you of over-reacting!! You are entitled to be as vigilant as you can be, and you should be right on your doctor's doorstep if you have any, any worries at all. I know I was.

I did have HELLP, but all I can remember is feeling generally c**p for about three weeks and then going off with an almighty bang. I also had pains under my ribs in my second pregnancy as early as 22 weeks, but in the end that was just heartburn. And my GP was just lovely about it!!

Please don't be worried about going to see your GP. You are bound to be feeling extra vulnerable as you are on your own. It would be really good for you to go and see him tomorrow anyway to get yourself some dipsticks so you can be testing your urine at home everyday. No harm can come of this, and it can be very reassuring on the one hand, and an instant warning system on the other.

xLaurie
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptyTue 07 Apr 2009, 11:09 pm

Hi Bens Mum,

I would absolutley echo all that Laurie has said!
The pain from HELLP is often described as an increasingly sever heartburn type pain that settles over the right side but is not relieved by antacid or general painkillers like paracetamol.
Ususally when the pain is caused by HELLP it is associated with nausea & vomitting, not like the morning sickness you may have experienced, but not always. Protienuria is very likely to be present so a simple dipstick test would give a clear indicator.
Please dont be afraid to see you GP or midwife - even the practice nurse if you are worried.
Yours & babys physical health is primary - but so is your emotional health.

Please do take some comfort though, that whilst not impossible, HELLP is uncommon at 22 weeks.
Let us know if we can help at all.

Warm Wishes
Liz

PS - Chest infection & conditions like pleurisy can cause pain on inspiration or coughing so do see your GP if no better or any decline. Antibiotics will do the trick if either of these are the culprit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptyWed 08 Apr 2009, 9:49 am

Hi Ben's mummy,

I also had HELLP - the pain felt very much like I'd been kicked in the ribs then someone had put an ever tightening band around my ribs.

I'd certainly agree that dispticks are a good idea, but I had no protein with my HELLP, so you should get yourself to Day Assessment for bloods, if a check with your GP shows no chest infection as Liz has suggested. Don't ever think that you are overreacting - this is your health and your baby's health, and you deserve to be looked after and reassured as much as you need.

Here's hoping that you've been doing too much, and a bit of rest will make you feel as good as new!

Keep us posted...

Nicki x
Back to top Go down
Charlie24
Forum Friend

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptyWed 08 Apr 2009, 5:01 pm

Hiya,

Just to add to what the other ladies have said.

Im 30+1 weeks pregnant after getting severe pe and hellp with my daughter at 24 weeks. I am suffering with rib pain, but it seems to go through to my back iykwim? I did mention to consultant when it started, and it seems like baby may have his foot settled nicely under my rib! Ive had it for weeks now but its on and off and feels 'achy' like the back ache i tend to get with it. I would still say like everyone else, best to double check, to put your mind at rest if anything. I just thought would add my little bit to hopefully reassure you it may be just baby getting comfy Laughing

Your definitely not over reacting, unfortunately when you have suffered such a horrible illness as we have we dont have the luxury of leaving things to chance. Hope your ok and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Charlie x
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptyWed 08 Apr 2009, 9:50 pm

Hi Charlie,

30+1 - wow well done you. Only 10 more weeks to go! Keep us posted!

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
Charlie24
Forum Friend

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptyThu 09 Apr 2009, 9:53 am

Hi Liz,

Thanks, will keep you posted. Cant believe i've got this far! Going for another growth scan today, but they keep telling me hes (we know hes a boy, he wasnt shy about it lol!) a very good size baby as was just about 3lb at 28wk growth scan so hopefully it will continue . Big thanks to you because I got referred to Prof Walker from you, and him and his team have been looking after me brilliantly!

Charlie x
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptyThu 09 Apr 2009, 2:06 pm

Fantastic news Charlie!
I will enjoy the wait before the announcement!

Give my best wishes to the Prof. when you next see him!
Liz
Back to top Go down
berrylicious
Forum Friend
berrylicious

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptySat 11 Apr 2009, 7:36 pm

my pain wiht HELLP started at 27 weeks and was under the ribs and right through to my back, between my shoulder blades

I'd recognise that pain straightaway, it's like a sharp ache, and it used to spread donw my right arm. Paracetamol would shift it temporarily but I'd always get any pain checked out if you'd had hellp before.

Hope you're ok.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. EmptySun 12 Apr 2009, 11:05 am

Hi Berrylicious,

Its funny you should say thet you would recognise the HELLP pain - its been 11 years since I had it, but I too would recognise it - even after all this time.

Hope you are well
Liz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kinda worried. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kinda worried.   Kinda worried. Empty

Back to top Go down

Kinda worried.
Page 1 of 1