Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

protein worry again

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
berrylicious
Forum Friend
berrylicious

protein worry again Empty
PostSubject: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyWed 17 Jun 2009, 3:40 pm

I've not been feeling great since sunday. I got cystitis on sunday and it's slowly getting better wiht lots of water. But my urine is still smelly and it's showing ++ of protein today. I'm 19 weeks+4. I have lower back ache, do you think it could be a kidney infection?

should I be worried? I had hellp wiht both pregnancies but it surely cant be the start of that at this early stage? I just called my gp for an appointment tomo but cant get one, will phone back in the morning.

dont really know what to do, BP is fine. I've had a few headahces but they dont feel like pre eclampsia-type headaches, and the back pain is not my typical pre e type pain eitehr, so I'm not panicking yet, just a bit worried and unsure what to do?
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Forum Friend
Lesley

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyWed 17 Jun 2009, 4:10 pm

If you have a phone number for your mw then give her a ring. If you get no joy there then either ring your gp again and demand an emergancy appt or ring the hospital and ask to be seen straight away.

It does sound like it could be a kidney infection which would need treating and even if not there is no need for you to sit at home worrying when you are high risk, someone should be taking extra special care of you. Hope you get sorted quickly love. Let us know how you are.

Lesley xxx
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyWed 17 Jun 2009, 7:23 pm

Hi Berrylicious,

I would totally concur with all that Lesley has said!
If you are really not sure - you can be reassured either way with a round of routine bloods.

But I agree UTIs are the most likely culprit.

Keep us posted
Best Wishes

Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
berrylicious
Forum Friend
berrylicious

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyWed 17 Jun 2009, 7:56 pm

thanks, I will phone my gp surgery again in the morning and see if I can get an appointment. It's really sore the bottom right hand side of my back.

It wont be the pre e will it? or the helllp? my bp has been fluctuating a bit tonight but I think I'm worried, I'm going to take my methyldopa now and get away to bed.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyWed 17 Jun 2009, 8:07 pm

The bottom line is that its not impossible for it to be HELLP, but at 19+ weeks unlikely, especially if the occurance in your 1st pregnancy was later on.

Follow your instincts. Your BP could well be up & down due to anxiety but if it doesnt improve or gets any worse give your MW or assessment unit a call to get yourself checked over.

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
berrylicious
Forum Friend
berrylicious

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyThu 18 Jun 2009, 4:38 pm

I have a kidney infection. There's lots of protein in my urine but bp is stable, and there's no chest pains or headaches or sweling or anythign.

Liz, do you know if a kidney infection now will affect my chances of hellp in weeks to come? will I be more prone to it now or will it make it start earlier or anything?
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 9:47 am

It shouldnt do if your renal function is still intact & the cause is being correctly treated.

There is a VERY REMOTE possibility that damage to the kidney is longer lasting & therefore MAY increase your risk slightly, but as I said it would be really unlikely.

The 'upside' here though, is that you have now had the experience of HELLP & now the infection & could decipher the two.
Should HELLP raise its ugly head, you will know that its not the same 'kidney infection' feeling. This is a great safety net - even though its horrid to experience.

I hope this helps.
Warm wishes

Liz
Back to top Go down
berrylicious
Forum Friend
berrylicious

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 1:05 pm

ok thanks liz that's reassuring. I see Dr Roddy Campbell on Tuesday for my scan and my doppler scan so will be able to talk it all over then.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyFri 19 Jun 2009, 1:14 pm

Im glad to be of help!

Good Luck for Tuesday - keep us posted!

Hope you are soon free of the infection too.
Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
becky83
Forum Friend
becky83

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyThu 25 Jun 2009, 12:19 pm

how did it go with the doctor honey?
Back to top Go down
berrylicious
Forum Friend
berrylicious

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyThu 25 Jun 2009, 5:18 pm

hiya, well the kidney infection appears to have cleared up and my consultant reiterated what you said liz, it wont increase my chances of hellp beginning earlier.

I had the doppler thing, and it took AGES, the lady found it very difficult to get a good picture/sound. Anyway the conclusion is that there are notches on both sides, the left and right of the cord Neutral I am a bit disappointed as I'd hoped that the clexane injections would've prevented it. With this being my third pregnancy and having had/will have hellp and pre e each time my consultant said it is likely that I have some sort of pre disposition by gene that prevents me from having an illness free pregnancy. But anyway, at least I know, and I can be prepared for things happening early. I am being seen again at 24 weeks, and then weekly from then until delivery. I have my urine test sticks at home, and my bp machine so I feel secure in the fact i will know when the time has come.

And we found out it is a girl! and I managed to carry hollie until 37 weeks! I was pretty near death by that point but it was never picked up until it was nearly too late. Being able to carry hollie to this late stage gives me great hope and optimism that I can do it again and get passed matthew's gestation. I dont think there has been any proven research that wiht boys pre e can start earlier but that's what happened wiht me. I also feel very strong that I want to be in control of this and have the final say in when this baby will be delivered.

phew lol well done if you got this far Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Forum Friend
Lesley

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyThu 25 Jun 2009, 7:00 pm

Sorry to here the doppler wasn't so good but well done on the possitive attitude, I think that goes a long way to helping in these situations. Keep it up and hopefully you will get a long way towards Holly's gestation. I love you
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again EmptyFri 26 Jun 2009, 9:08 am

Hi!

Sorry to hear there was notching. As much as we hope there isnt - it still comes as a disappointment when we have proved what in our hearts we suspect.
Having said that you are also right in your suspicions of the differences between boys & girls. There is lots of anecdotal evidence to show that PE can be worse for one gender than another in subsequent pregnancies. So it is all hopeful that you will continue to carry your daughter as far as you did with Holly.
Its a shame there is no definative evidence - even between how well boy vs girls do overall.

Im glad to hear you are feeling secure though - that really is half the battle and as Lesley says - positivity can go a long long way!

Warm wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: protein worry again   protein worry again Empty

Back to top Go down

protein worry again
Page 1 of 1