Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

how long to get a post-mortem appointment?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jules
Forum Friend
jules

how long to get a post-mortem appointment? Empty
PostSubject: how long to get a post-mortem appointment?   how long to get a post-mortem appointment? EmptyFri 26 Jun 2009, 10:18 am

Just wondering how long this usually takes?

Its now 7 weeks today since I had to deliver my dead daughter. At the time I'm sure the midwives told me 6 weeks before I got an appointment with post-mortem results etc, but when I got that in writing I was told 8 weeks, and now that seems to have gone back to 10 weeks or even longer (I telephoned this week). They can't tell me when yet.

Is this usual? Its driving me crazy at the moment. I know full well that this may not tell me anything that I didn't already know, but I can't do anything else in my life because I am just waiting. The timescale seems to keep going back ... I'd have been less likely to agree & sign in the first place if I'd known how long it would take, especially as its unlikely to provide new information in my case, and I am starting to have very mixed feelings about going ahead with this.

I know I'm not very patient, but would anyone be in this situation?

Thanks for any replies

Jules
Back to top Go down
Caroline
Forum Friend
Caroline

PostSubject: Re: how long to get a post-mortem appointment?   how long to get a post-mortem appointment? EmptyFri 26 Jun 2009, 11:48 am

Hi Jules,

We agreed to a limited post-mortem being carried out on Max (they were suprised he didn't survive and we wanted to check whether there were any underlying heart conditions etc which may have been missed on the scan). We were warned this might take 2-3 weeks but it was rushed through and we received the results while I was still in hospital on the Friday after I had delivered him on the Sunday. I received a letter with the results of my blood tests after about 2 weeks and had a follow up appointment with the consultant to discuss things about a month later.

Things like this seem to vary so much from area to area but it does seem an awful long time and unfair to keep you hanging on given how desperate you must be for information.

If I can be of any more help do let me know.

Caroline x
Back to top Go down
jules
Forum Friend
jules

PostSubject: Re: how long to get a post-mortem appointment?   how long to get a post-mortem appointment? EmptyFri 26 Jun 2009, 3:52 pm

Thanks Caroline.

I phoned SANDS who told me that 6-8 weeks was not unusual, so I think you were fortunate, but I have chased them through various routes over the last few days, as I feel I've been patient enough.

The midwife tells me that the secretary has all my notes and they wait until everything has come in before sending out appointments - no-one else (apparently) can tell me what they are waiting on. They told me its better for ME to wait until all results were in and not to get them piecemeal. [I don't agree and in any case hate anyone presuming to know what is best for me unless they have experienced this themselves].

However, when I spoke to the secretary yesterday she said she did not have my notes and did not know if they were waiting on anything anyway.

I hope I've done enough to get some action but my confidence is dwindling

Jules
Back to top Go down
ingrid
Forum Friend
ingrid

PostSubject: Re: how long to get a post-mortem appointment?   how long to get a post-mortem appointment? EmptyFri 26 Jun 2009, 9:04 pm

Hi Jules

I remember we were waiting weeks for Brianna's post mortem like you Samantha kept ringing and kept getting told until all the paperwork was done and they had it all together they would then send it on this was upto 8 weeks as I recall. I hope you get your papers soon as you said you probably know it all anyway but it gives a piece of closure and need to get this out of the way before you can move on.

Take care of yourself

best wishes Ingrid xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how long to get a post-mortem appointment?   how long to get a post-mortem appointment? Empty

Back to top Go down

how long to get a post-mortem appointment?
Page 1 of 1