Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alka
Forum Friend
alka

If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) Empty
PostSubject: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptySun 19 Jul 2009, 6:08 pm

Hey all

Hope everyone is doing fine.

This is going to sound ridiculous I know, but as this site makes such a wonderful "sounding off" place for us I feel much better talking to you than voicing my fears "outloud" if that makes sense.

Ok, so hubby and I decided that we would start trying for number 2, Jake is now 20 months old and we thought it would be a good age gap and also we have been feeling really positive about a second pregancy. Until....

A little niggle in my mind with all that is happening re: Swine Flu at the moment. I am now thinking, great if I don't get PE again it's bound to be Swine Flu as I am clearly cursed! Ok Ok, I know I'm not cursed, but I can't help but think that if we go for this, I'm going to be one of those people to catch it. There I said it. And I know i'm taking things out of context, I know I need to put things into perspective, but I'm so blooming frustrated, I didn't want anything to go against us this time round, I wanted to do everything I could to ensure a healthy and happy pregnancy. And now I feel like it's another hurdle waitng out there, waiting for me to get pregnant.

Does anyone else feel concerned over this, is anyone even thinking of delaying conception until we seem to be over the worst of it all? Am I being stupid? Please feel free to tell me if I am!!!

Love from a rambling paranoid Nic xxx
Back to top Go down
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyTue 21 Jul 2009, 7:40 pm

Hi Nic,

I don't think you're a rambling paranoid at all - you just want to know that you're doing everything you possibly can for a healthy, happy baby. And, I can really understand the feeling that we're somehow cursed - it ties in beautifully with that old friend of ours - guilt!

I currently have swine flu, and I'm considered one of the high risk groups due to previous respiratory issues, and to be honest, if I wasn't quarantined at home, I'd probably be at work - it is a very mild case of flu, nowhere near as bad as the winter flu I had last year where I couldn't get out of bed for three days!

Now, I'm not for a minute saying that you should be blase about it, as the risks in pregnancy are higher, and they're not just risks for your own health, but your baby's too, and I'm certainly not advocating going out and seeing if you can catch it now before you get pregnant, I guess what I'm trying to say is I can understand your feelings, but I don't have any advice I'm afraid...

Lots of love

Nicki x
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyWed 22 Jul 2009, 2:11 pm

Hi Nic,

Im rather inclined to agree with Nicki. sure you dont want to be queuing up to get it, neither do you want the guilt stick to beat yourself up with ...again!

My suggestion is to talk to your midwife, she will be up to date on the current guidelines in your area. Ask questions along the lines - if I get it - is Tamiflu safe to use in pregnancy? What extra monitoring will I be offered? How are YOU going to look after me & my baby if I fall ill?

You need to feel, as always, that you have done everything in your power to keep you safe.
In your heart you will know your own answer.

Warm Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyWed 22 Jul 2009, 2:35 pm

From what I've read, they're giving Relenza to pregnant women, as it's an inhaled anti-viral, so doesn't reach the foetus, so is far safer than the Tamiflu.

Nicki x
Back to top Go down
Nic
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyWed 22 Jul 2009, 6:56 pm

This is another paranoid Nicki. I'm having exactly the same thoughts going through my head. One minute I don't care and I'll go for the 2 nd pregnancy, then I think what if I get swine flu and PE- what a pregnancy!!! I know noone can see into the future and do I really want to put my life on hold for a virus I may or may not get- (there are many virus out there!!). All these questions!!!! My consultant felt that she did not want me to put pregnancy off for too much longer due to age.
Anyway just to say Nic you are not alone in this dilemma- irrational thoughts get to us all! I'm sure it is because of the experience we have already had.
Nicki
Back to top Go down
alka
Forum Friend
alka

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyMon 27 Jul 2009, 10:25 am

Hey ladies,

Thanks as always for making me feel 'normal'! It's a comfort to know that I'm not on my own with decisions like this.

After a lot of talking, we've decided to hold off with a second pregnancy, rightly or wrongly. Purely because I was to be as fit as I can next time round so that if I need to fight the evil PE, I will be on form to give it my all.

We've decided to get the winter out of the way and concentrate on keeping us all well, then we will try in the spring of next year.

Feel extremely frustrated but in a sense relieved, I've never been one for taking chances (Am sooooo not a Bungee Jump / Parachute Jump kinda girl lol). So I may be over reacting a little I know, but I think that it's the right decision for us as a family.

So, that's where we're at.

Thank you all so much for your advice and comments, they really do help.

Love Nic x
Back to top Go down
nicki
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 7:52 pm

Hi there,
You may not have to wait the whole winter. I'm thinking I may get the swine flu over the next few months or the vaccination may be given to everyone so either way could start trying after either of these. I want to start trying now but something in my head is telling me to hold off for a couple of months and see. I'm sure whatever decision you make is the right one for you.
Nicki
Back to top Go down
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 7:57 pm

I know this is going completely off topic here, but isn't it odd how (with the exception of lovely Liz) we're all Nic/Nicki!

How bizarre Smile
Back to top Go down
nicki
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 8:01 pm

It's just a fab name! I think it's probably an age thing!
Nicki
Back to top Go down
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 8:07 pm

Very Happy

Back on topic, I think you're probably wise to wait a while, I read this earlier http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8175241.stm - an article that states that swine flu does seem to be hitting pregnant women harder than the general population.

Given the risk that any of us takes when we embark on a pregnancy after PE, I think it's a good idea to stack the odds in your favour as far as possible.

Good luck to everyone when you decide the time is right

Love Nicki x
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 8:09 pm

I shall have to change my name won't I?!!!!

Lizzi Nick!
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
alka
Forum Friend
alka

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) EmptyFri 31 Jul 2009, 9:36 am

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions! Really helps!

Clearly there is something with the name Nic isn't there? lol!

Thanks ladies, where would I be without you!

x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)   If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu) Empty

Back to top Go down

If it's not one thing, it's another! (Swine Flu)
Page 1 of 1