Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Another PE story

Go down 
+3
Liz Pidgley
ingrid
Jodie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Jodie
Forum Friend

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: Another PE story   Another PE story EmptyWed 28 May 2008, 4:00 pm

Hi Liz, thank you so much for setting up this forum - perfect timing for me!

My name is Jodie, I'm 34 and gave birth in 2005, at 32 +2 due to PE.

So, my story - I'm going to try and keep it brief:

My husband Paul and I were thrilled to be expecting a baby in July 2005. However, I had bleeding early on and felt ill etc so the pregnancy wasn't much fun. I was also diagnosed with high BP fairly early on. Because of high BP and increasing water retention, I was monitored fairly closed from about 22 weeks on. Weekly trips to the midwife, fortnightly to the consultant, weeing on the stick every morning to check my protein etc.

One evening I checked my wee as I wasn't feeling well, and it had gone to +3 (had varied from trace - +2 for weeks). Phoned the hospital and was told to come in the next day.

Really naively, I expected to be checked and sent home so took NOTHING with me. Of course I had to stay in as I was poorly. Had a barrage of tests and the conclusion was that I could need to have the baby any time. But, the main problem was that I was 30 weeks and the hospital had no facilities for babies under 32 weeks.

I then spent hours listening to the nurses trying to find a hospital that could cater for me and my baby. I ended up being transferred by ambulance, blue lights flashing and siren wailing, over 100 miles away, with my husband trying to follow in the car, while telling family and friends what was happening.

I ended up at Queen Mary's in Sidcup - the most fantastic place. I was closely watched, made to feel very safe etc. But got worse, and even though they tried to get me past the bank holiday weekend I ended up with an emergency caesarean on bank holiday monday!!

Evelyn was born, weighting 4 lb 10 oz, needing only a sniff of oxygen and not needing an incubator. She went to SCBU, not NICU. I on the other hand was really not well, had 1:1 care in high dependency for 2 days etc, before being transferred to the post natal ward where I remember crying watching all the mums with their babies while I only had a photo of my daughter on the cabinet next to me.

We were transferred back to a local hospital that week. I can't describe the feeling watching my tiny girl going off in an ambulance with 4 medical staff.

Evelyn came home 3 weeks later. She had chronic reflux, and an immature gut (intolerant of loads of food, can't digest certain stuff easily etc), and we had a hard time to start with. Her reflux meant she choked in her sleep so Paul and I spent the first 12 months sleeping in shifts so that one of us was always watching her.

I can't believe it but she'll be 3 on Friday! She's amazing - she's met all her developmental milestones either early or on schedule, she's a bundle of activity with a mop of blonde hair and the bluest eyes, and she never stops talking - even in her sleep! She made me a whole person I think and I will never be able to thank the staff who helped her safely enter this world enough.

Me? Well, I had flashbacks, nightmares, panic attacks. Ended up in post traumatic stress counselling which helped a bit but still relive the experience more than I'd like. I was under 2 consultants for a year but now don't have to see them anymore. Have been told I need to see the kidney consultant bod if I get pregnant again.

Then of course there was the question of whether to try for another baby - I was scared silly of the thought of PE again but desperately wanted Evelyn to have a sibling. Ironically it wasn't as easy as that. We struggled to conceive again but I am thrilled to say that after 5 rounds of clomid and 1 cycle of IVF I am nearly 17 weeks pregnant - due on 7th November.

Now I'm past the hurdle of conceiving I'm starting to think/worry about PE. I have a fab obstetrician who has got a great care plan for me. I'm having my BP checked every other week til 20 weeks then weekly, scans at 20 weeks then every 4 weeks and I'm on daily low dose aspirin. However, the Consultant has warned me to be realistic that I'm unlikely to go full term but I am likely to get PE again. I'm ok with being told that - preferable to sailing into it thinking it'll all be ok when it might not be. And I figure that at least this time I'm on the radar as such.

Doesn't stop the worry though. My BP isn't too bad - 185/85 I think the last one was. But my arms are getting a little water retention already and I'm in splints at night to help with the carpal tunnel - exactly the same as with Evelyn.

Anyway, that's my long, waffley story! Thank you for reading it. I am really pleased to have a forum to come and chat, ask questions and hopefully give/receive support.

Jodie x
Back to top Go down
ingrid
Forum Friend
ingrid

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another PE story   Another PE story EmptyWed 28 May 2008, 5:10 pm

HI Jodie

Firstly congratulations on your Pregnancy I do hope it will go smoothly and PE free.

My daughter also suffered with post traumatic stress getting flash backs ect and was getting counciling but her overwhelming desire to have a baby was more at the forefront of her mind than any worry of maybe getting PE again. She found it difficult to concieve it took her nearly 12 months as she started trying soon after losing Brianna ( I am glad it did take that long as she needed to be well in herself ) Samantha will be 36 weeks tommorow and absolutley blooming with no sign of PE rearing its ugly head although she panicked last week as they found a trace of protien but this week her wee is clear. Samantha is on blood pressure tablets mytholdopar ? this seems to keep her blood pressure right down and is also on Aspirin her care has been absolutley spot on at present she is at the hospital everyweek and has a CCG ( checking babies heartbeat ) has been having this for the last 3 weeks and will carry on until baby is born.

It seems that your care package is spot on and it is reassuring to know that they are looking after you and of course you yourself know what signs to look out for this time. I do wish you well with a happy ending do keep us posted

Take care

Ingrid xx
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another PE story   Another PE story EmptyWed 28 May 2008, 6:58 pm

Hi Jodie,
Welcome to the site but more importantly congratulations on your new pregnancy.

IVF pregnancies do tend to carry a slightly higher risk of recurrent PE but generally speaking this is because they are often twin pregnancies.
The 'up side' to this though is that this time you are receiving the right care in terms of aspirin etc and that statistics show that IF pre eclampsia is going to recur, it is generally less severe & up to 2 weeks later.

I can completely understand your 'pysching yourself' towards the thought of PE again, even if it is an incredibly scary prospect. It is the least scary option of convincing yourself that everything will all be wonderful & then to have the rug pulled from beneath you again. If the worst happens you are expecting it & everything else thats good is a bonus.

As Ingrid says, you do sound like you are being cared for & closely monitored and that along with the knowledge you have, about what pregnancy 'shouldnt' feel like, you will be well armed. And of course, we will be here to support you all the way.

As you have had the PTS (and forgive this for sounding so bad), is your mental health being cared for too? Facing similar sitautions can exacerbate PTS symptoms & I would hate for that to happen to you & you not be aware that is what happening & worry even more!

Wishing you a long & uneventful pregnancy.
Liz

Last edited by Liz Pidgley on Sun 01 Jun 2008, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Woody
Forum Friend
Woody

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another PE story   Another PE story EmptyWed 28 May 2008, 8:03 pm

Hi Jodie

Congratulations on your pregnancy, it sounds like you're receiving excellent care.

I lost my first daughter after developing PE/HELLP syndrome at 24+6, Katie was born a few hours after I was admitted to hospital and was very poorly. She died aged 20 days. My second pregnancy was very scary but I was on the asprin and was seenly weekly in day care from 22 weeks which was very reassuring. I did develop PE a second time but this time it was at 32 weeks and a lot less sever, Hannah was delivered at 32+1 and was completely unaffected by the PE. I was also no where near as poorly as the first time.

I hope my brief story helps, I just wanted to say my second experiance of PE had a happy ending and it was a lot later and a lot less sever.

Take care

Linda xxx
Back to top Go down
Ann cotter
Forum Friend
Ann cotter

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: second time round!   Another PE story EmptyThu 29 May 2008, 11:58 am

Hi Jodie,
poor old you it sounds like you were really ill and then with the panic attacks later the whole ordeal must have been just awful. Congrats on your pregnancy and fingers crossed for oct/nov who news. I know some of the anxiety you are going through as i just had my son on 22 march after previouly loosing my daughter to severe pe and hellp at 24 weeks.
my story is posted on the site if you want to read it.
I like yourself was so worried throughout i was just waiting for it all to go horribly wrong. Be very gentle with yourself and take it one day at a time. If you are having a bad day it is allowed after your horrific experience. I was on aspirin and innohep and reached 37 weeks so i believe this time you will get further than before. will be thinking and praying for you and baby. keep me posted and if i can help in any way please let me know.
kind regards
Ann cotter.
Back to top Go down
Becky
New User

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another PE story   Another PE story EmptyThu 29 May 2008, 7:20 pm

Just to say many congratulations to you, in my second pregnancy I took low dose aspirin, and managed to get to 36 weeks before the dreaded +++ began to appear. Look forward to everyday and say hi to bump!! (I kept telling mine to hang in there - it worked!!) Wink
Back to top Go down
HelenA
Forum Friend
HelenA

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another PE story   Another PE story EmptyFri 30 May 2008, 8:00 am

Hi Jodie, congratulations on your pregnancy and happy birthday to Evelyn. My daughter Grace was three in january and it was chaos, so good luck!!
Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy, I hope you will keep us posted as to your progress.
Helen.
Back to top Go down
Jodie
Forum Friend

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another PE story   Another PE story EmptySat 31 May 2008, 11:00 pm

Thank you all for your kind messages - it was lovely to log on and see them.

Should correct something I wrote in my original message - my bp was 135/85 not 185/85 at the last reading!

And Liz, no, I hadn't thought about mental health issues. Maybe I should. I do feel a bit generally anxious but didn't really pay much attention to it. Anyway, thank you for flagging it up.

Helen, E had a fab birthday - her party with friends was today although we had a tea party yesterday. It was indeed a bit on the chaotic side!

x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another PE story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another PE story   Another PE story Empty

Back to top Go down

Another PE story
Page 1 of 1