Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

previous PET now 32+4...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fairihell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: previous PET now 32+4...   Tue 09 Mar 2010, 4:58 pm

I am now 32+4 with baby number 3. We lost our first baby Madi at 26 weeks due to severe rapid onset preeclampsia. I then went on to have Iona at 35 weeks via emergency section again due to PET (althoug I don't remember much about this pregnancy as feel pregnant 6 weeks after loosing madi and even my consultant feels I was in denial for the entire pregnancy.

I am now 32+4, BP first went up at 28 weeks when was put on 250mg methyldopa 3 times a day, which seemed to do the trick until last Thursday when it was up at 150/100 so they have now doubled the methyldopa to 500mg 3 times a day, so far only trace or +1 of protein - first question really is
- is it likely that the lack of protein (which i know is great!) is due to my BP being kept down by the methyldopa? ie without this would I possibly have more protein?

I haven't really had too many headaches a few when BP has been up when due to take meds etc but think probably more to do with my body getting used to the meds than anything else.

my main query is about epigastric pain, which I haven't mentioned to anyone... as remember being told before if it was significant then I would be in agony which I am not - also trying to avoid being admitted for the next 6 weeks (section booked at 38 weeks) as my daughter (20months) has major seperation anxiety and I really don't want to make it worse on her than it has to be.

Anyhow I have had this on and off pain under right rib for the last 10 days maybe a bit longer, it started off being after I had eaten but now hurts more and more of the time and I think it is getting worse... was in tears over it last night, co-codamol seems to take the edge off but it never totally goes.... also have on and off heart burn so thinking maybe just this, although that has only been the last 2 days really... any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated?
thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Tue 09 Mar 2010, 5:21 pm

Hi,
Sorry I'm not an expert but would think it would be worth going to your hospitals day assessment unit just to have a blood test to check liver function. Just to be on the safe side! I know when I had that pain, it wasn't excruciating and I still had problems. So sorry to hear about your little girl, but also glad to hear about your much better second pregnancy. Hope everything continues well for you with this one, sorry I couldn't be more help. No doubt Liz will help you more!

Lizzie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emmie
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Tue 09 Mar 2010, 6:40 pm

Hi and welcome to the boards!

Also not an expert, but I know that when I was admitted to hospital with severe PE they were concerned when I experienced chest pain (which was only a nagging ache for me). I did go onto develop HELLP and ultimately that is why they had to deliver my baby boy.

I don't want to worry you, and it could be nothing, but I, personally would contact L&D or go and get checked out. If it is (and it may not be!) anything to worry about, let the docs do the worrying for you!!

Take care
Emma xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Wed 10 Mar 2010, 9:19 am

I am so sorry to hear about Madi, I lost my daughter at 26 weeks last year too.

I am a bit shocked any one has told you that the pain has to be severe for it to be significant. We all have different pain tolerances and relying on this alone as an indicator of "safety" is not a good idea at all.

I had very severe HELLP with pain that I would describe as mild to moderate at worst - not unbearable at all. They told me I had a high pain threshold!

The fact my symptoms were mild contribued to the situation becoming life threatening for me, as well as my baby.

I don't want to worry you unecessarily, but we all know what this horrible disease can do. I would want some blood tests in your situation.

Best wishes

Jules
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Wed 10 Mar 2010, 4:06 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your daughter & the early arrival of Iona due to this horrid condition.

I agree with the ladies, if you are not sure then ask for your blood to be checked for the usual PE screening. Given your history the longest you should be seen between appointments now is 2 days so dont be afraid to kick up a fuss if you need to.

Its better to say something 100 times rather than risk missing the once as they say.

The methlydopa will hold your BP at bay to a certain extent & possibly the protienuria. This isnt an exact science as many ladies have PE with proteinuria before getting the high BP so either in its own right is not a true diagnosis which is why the bloods are necessary.

Given your history its really important your health care providers look after the whole you, not just the pregnant you. What you have been through is an emotional rollercoaster to say the least, and here you are finding yourself in scary positions again. Also, I know the methyldopa is holding the BP, but dont forget it can also lower your mood too so it could actually be causing you to feel even more concerned.

Im not around on Friday or Saturday but if you need to contact me any other time, do feel free ok.

Warmest Wishes & heres hoping for a safe & smooth delivery, ideally no PE.

Liz

fairihell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Wed 10 Mar 2010, 4:19 pm

Thanks Liz

I am back at the hospital tomorrow so will make sure they take bloods then. My consultant has been fantastic, I saw her every week from 5 weeks with Iona and she called in between to find out what my BP was doing. I haven't seen her as often this time but am not seeing her weekly with BP/urine checks in between, so being checked twice a week. Last week she did check with me 4 times in 10 minutes that I had already had steriods for baby's lungs, but she hasn't told me any kind of plan of action - Just hoping my BP stays down as don't think she can up the current meds much more without adding something new... I know she will tell me if she is concerned about my health, I just hope that isn't too soon!

Thanks so much for your advice, fingers crossed the bloods will be clear!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fairihell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Thu 11 Mar 2010, 5:01 pm

well 32+6 today and consultant taken bloods to check liver etc and they will call if I need to go back in. BP at 130/90, which she says she is ok with, but if stays around 90s will consider adding another med in??? oh and if hits 150/110 I am to go in for monitoring, being checked again on Monday by midwife and then seeing my consultant again next Thursday for her to scan me... So just plodding along for now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Wed 17 Mar 2010, 8:30 am

hope you're still plodding along.

It's hard work worrying about all these things I was worried about making my blood pressure worse by worrying!

My LFTs have settled again they're still above what is considered normal but only 1 off the normal limit now. I have another round of blood taking next week at 33+6.

i hope you're still well take care!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fairihell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Thu 25 Mar 2010, 11:57 am

Still plodding along for now.... 34+6 today.... Spent all day Tuesday in day assessment with BP around 140/100 and protein 2+ headaches etc - they said they were keeping me in but too busy to take me up to ward and didn't want me walking on my own... well got to midnight and no longer a bed, so just made a comment saying well I don't mind going home... and they agreed!!! didn't even check my BP or anything, were admitting to check it every hour... last time they checked was 6pm.... oh and had to ask at least 10 times for bp meds i was due and some food.... got meds 4 hours late!!! and never got anything to eat and wouldn't let me leave to get anything.... so went from not being allowed to go up one floor in the lift to beng allowed to walk across the dark, deserted hospital on my own, with my overnight bag and drive myself home at midnight.... have pretty much been in bed ever since and really not feeling great - seeing consultant at 1.30 today so will see what bp etc is up too.... hoping not to be admitted for at least another week.... fingers crossed!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   Thu 25 Mar 2010, 4:32 pm

sorry to read you're being messed about.

hope you get looked after properly soon.

take care
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: previous PET now 32+4...   

Back to top Go down

previous PET now 32+4...
Page 1 of 1