Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Can BP be 'controlled' yet still get symptoms?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fairihell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Can BP be 'controlled' yet still get symptoms?   Mon 05 Apr 2010, 1:26 pm

Am not 36+3, section booked for 38 weeks... have had PET in 2 previous pregnancies... this time BP being managed ok (by upping meds every couple of weeks!) and is sitting at about 145/90 on 500mg of methyldopa 4times a day and 200mg of labetalol twice a day... being checked 3 times a week... and have constant headache now getting worse and on/off blurred vision in left eye... but i thought the vision/headaches was caused by the high BP.... but if BP being managed and not too high surely it can't be this causing the headaches etc?? GP says these are just general preg symptoms as BP not high and no protein....??
Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Can BP be 'controlled' yet still get symptoms?   Mon 05 Apr 2010, 4:39 pm

BP is just one of the symptoms of PE. So i'm displaying loads of others but my BP is fine atm.

I think i'd be getting a 2nd opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amanda9
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Can BP be 'controlled' yet still get symptoms?   Tue 06 Apr 2010, 4:40 pm

me too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can BP be 'controlled' yet still get symptoms?   Tue 06 Apr 2010, 9:25 pm

Hi all,

To a certain extent yes you can have 'controlled' BP and still have proteinuria due to PE.

There is increasing evidence to show that women who preset with new, clinically significant protein (2+) but have normal BPs should be paid close attention to. This is because for many women new proteinuria is a pre-cursor or the first symptom of PE.
This is also why it is mentioned in its own right as part of PRECOG.

If new & clinically significant protein is present then research suggests PE will develop within 2 weeks..

I hope this helps.
Liz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can BP be 'controlled' yet still get symptoms?   

Back to top Go down

Can BP be 'controlled' yet still get symptoms?
Page 1 of 1