Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What to do?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AmandaLily'smum
Forum Friend

What to do? Empty
PostSubject: What to do?   What to do? EmptyTue 20 Apr 2010, 8:21 pm

Hi everyone.
I had my second consultant appointment on Monday and it was slightly better than the first but I still felt it was wholly inadequate. I didnt see the consultant I was referred to by the GP, I saw the registrar. They did not have my maternity notes from my local hospital only my general notes. They also hadnt obtained the notes from the hospital I delivered my daughter in. I havent received my notes yet, I requested them myself in anticipation of this appointment. Therefore she could not answer any questions I had about the PE I suffered with. She said from what I told her I had a severe and early onset. She also said I had a 1 in 4 chance of it happening again. She didnt explain how she could quote this statistic to me. She also said asprin has proven helpful for ladies who had early onset and therefore when I find out I am pregnant to make an appointment to see my Gp to be prescribed asprin. My question is this:

Should I be happy with this advice?
Should I now look to be referred again, this time to an expert?
Should they not be testing my blood for some clotting problems?
Have they done everything to help me prevent PE again?

Any advice will be gratefully received.
Amanda.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

What to do? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What to do?   What to do? EmptyTue 20 Apr 2010, 9:28 pm

Hi Amanda,

I am sorry to hear you had a disappointing consultation.
It seems that you have not been listened to and all your questions still remain. On this basis alone I would suggest speaking to the clinic and asking to see the consultant. Your care under the PRECOG guidelines reccomends consultant level care as the nature of this condition is so complex that experience of managing it is essential.

Your care givers should ideally have seen your notes rather than making assumptions but that aside, your future care should be based on evidence..and with out follow up tests like blood tests this becomes guess work. They also seem to have ignored your emotional health in any care plan.

Perhaps take a copy of the PRECOG guidelines with you?

You will need to feel confident that you and your unborn baby are getting the best care possible because you are likely to be anxious anyway and confidence in your care will be one less worry.

Hope this helps
Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com

What to do?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: