Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Stopping Aspirin at 34 weeks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
summer1971
New User

PostSubject: Stopping Aspirin at 34 weeks   Wed 26 May 2010, 1:03 pm

Hi there Smile

A little bit of background... My daughter was born at 39 weeks after an uneventful pregnancy. My BP had risen at 37 weeks and I was on Methyldopa which I had to come off straight after delivery as my BP then plunged.
I then had an horrendous pregnancy with dichorionic (they had a placenta each) twins. At 17 weeks we discovered Tom had severe IUGR and a couple of weeks later we were told he wasn't going to make it. By 24 weeks I was on a high dose of Methyldopa. By 28 weeks I'd been hospitalised several times because my BP was out of control. At 33 weeks the boys were delivered because Tom was in trouble, I was bleeding (I had placenta praevia), and my BP was sky high and they couldn't keep it down any more. Tom weighed 630g (just under 1lb 6oz). 9 hours after delivery I was put on iv mag sulphate as my bp was getting even worse. I ended up going home on Labetalol and Nifidipine as my BP took over 3 weeks to settle.
Tom is thankfully now a happy little 3 year old albeit with a few ongoing problems.

I am now 34+3 with baby number 4. All has gone very smoothly so far. I've been on Aspirin since pre-conception as I'd had 4 miscarriages and my cons thought it wouldn't hurt to try and cover all bases (have had tests but nothing has come up). At my last clinic appt I was told to stop the aspirin at 34 weeks. I couldn't quite bring myself to not take one on Monday but I've not had one for the last 2 days.

Has anyone been on aspirin and found their BP had shot up shortly after stopping it? I'm terrified that after things have gone so smoothly, its all going to go pearshaped from here! My c-section is booked for the 24th June when I'll be 38+4. Thats 4 weeks tomorrow. Hoping like mad I can get that far.

Thanks for reading!
Georgie x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stopping Aspirin at 34 weeks   Wed 26 May 2010, 3:31 pm

Hi Georgie,

Welcome to the community and congratulations on 34 weeks of pregnancy.

Pre Eclampsia was studied for its onset likelihood a few years ago and the results were quite consistent. The onset was divided more -or- less equally between antenatal, delivery & postnatal. Assuming this pregancy is not a multiple pregnancy and you had an uneventful first pregnancy there is no reason to think that this would be any different and PE occur.
Placental abruption does have a higher incidence in placenta praevia which sounds like the origins of the PE last time.

In terms of the aspirin, I have not heard of any direct co-relation to spike in blood pressure related to PE.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Liz

summer1971
New User

PostSubject: Re: Stopping Aspirin at 34 weeks   Wed 26 May 2010, 4:16 pm

Thanks for your reply Liz.
Is there not some thought that aspirin can help keep PE at bay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stopping Aspirin at 34 weeks   Wed 26 May 2010, 10:19 pm

Hi Georgie,

Yes there is that school of thought but for earlier onset of PE.

Normal protocol would be delivery prior to 35 weeks in the previous pregnancy would indicate the use of aspirin and to stop aspirin at 36 weeks in any subsequent pregnancy. This is to allow the blood chemistry to return to normal naturally prior to delivery. Aspirin reduces the stickiness of the platelets and would increase the risk of a bleed during delivery if not stopped, however, it can be reversed with other drugs if needed in an emergency.

Best Wishes
Liz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stopping Aspirin at 34 weeks   

Back to top Go down

Stopping Aspirin at 34 weeks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Support :: My Worries-
Jump to: