Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My Story

Go down 
New User

PostSubject: My Story   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 9:23 am

I found out i was pregnant in december 07 and i honestly didnt know how to feel. i was on birth control and taking it correctly but as the midwife said "things like this happen". From the first appointment my BP was up, i think only once it was down to 128/68 and the others were 141/70 odd and above, i have white coat syndrome (sorry if its not called that, but i could take my BP at home and it was fine but as soon as i got into the medical room my pulse raced and BP went up) my midwife was amazing and i was sent to see the consultant after my first scan (?) never found out why. My midwife said she wasnt too worried about my BP but she was keeping a very good eye on it. At my 20 week scan i can remember having to have another person come and check, i asked what was wrong and they said nothing and that it was just the femur bone was a little short (my sister told me that she was sure that it meant growth problems, i guess she was right) Anyway i changed doctors and midwives and my new one seemed nice but wasnt really concerned about anything, i saw her at 24 weeks and she booked me an appointment for 29 weeks (too late) me and my partner moved back into my parents while house hunting and i started getting a little tired, i noticed my bump had gone a little smaller, and one night i woke up with agonizing pain in my arm and i could feel my pulse in my hand, i calmed myself down and it stopped (i was told it could have been the onset of a heart attack???) my mom kept commenting on my swelling (in my hands feet legs face and neck) 4 days after the arm pain incident i noticed i wasnt feeling any movement, i used my doppler and picked up a heart beat, i tried drinking cold water and just lying still in different positions.. my partner phoned my midwife but she was unavailable but the receptionist advised us to phone the hospital. i have a monitoring booked at 4pm, the heartbeat was strong but my blood pressure 152/9(something) i was taken for a scan and it didnt look good, the woman didnt even look at us she just shook her head and left the room. by this point i was panicking then the nurse entered with a wheel chair and told me to sit in it, i refused and walked through to delivery (glad i did because i would have worried all the pregnant women in there waiting to see their baby) i got up to delivery and heard them talking (i was going to be a midwife and so i have experience in prematurity etc) they mentioned steriods and i turned to my partner and said "im going to have him" he said i wouldnt but i knew. i was 28 weeks +2days, i was put in a room butchered by a silly woman who knew of my needle phobia and couldnt find a vein but stabbed be 3 times anyway, and ignored by every doctor i came in contact with (if i had 10 every time a doctor came to ask me if i knew what was happening and then when i said no replied by smiling and walking away i'd be rich i had severe PE) my parents arrived and they were no help haha they looked more worried than me but i wouldnt blame them. 7 i was wheeled down to theater and at 8pm my beautiful 1lb12oz boy entered the world, no cry just a sigh, i later called him Darren (after his dad) John (after my dad)... he spent 100 days in hospital spent 9 months on oxygen, has chronic lung disease and we have had 6 winter illness trips to hospital so far. hes just turned two little monkey and i love him to pieces...
really want to give him a brother or a sister but im terrified it all might happen again... thanks for reading x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 10:54 am

What a scary time for you.

There are a lot of ladies on here who have been through similar things and can share their story and give you hope. I had my DD at 31 weeks in October 07- 117 days later we got her home and she was on oxygen for 18 months. She too has chronic lung disease. However, if you saw her now you would never guess she was premature! She turns three later this year (October)

I am currently pregnant with number 2 am being well monitored and taking each day as it comes. Iam on aspirin (now increased to 150mg each day) It was increased after my doppler scan at 22 weeks. My doppler scan showed possible blood flow issues and is being repeated on 1st July. I have had my MW appointment today and my BP is at its lowest 100/70! My booking in was 130/90! I KNOW I am not out of the woods yet and the next 12-13 weeks is a long journey....but we'll see.

There are lots of ladies on here who have had a second pregnancy totally PE free!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 12:03 pm

Hi Louise,

Welcome to the community & thank you for sharing your story with us.

As Mossy has said, there are many women here who could echo your feelings and I sense through your post that writing it all down felt like re-living it again.

My honest suggestion would be to ask your GP for an expert referral. It sounds like you really need to hear, from someone qualified enough to give you an expert opinion, what happened in your pregnancy & the risk of getting it again.
You could also consider getting a copy of your medical notes to read through yourself.

Any plan for another pregnancy absolutely has to take into account your physical health but you also need to keep an eye on your emotional health too, especially as you have your little one to run around after.

If you want to PM me with your home town I will send you the address of your nearest expert & how to make contact.

I hope this helps and that you will find the support you are looking for here.

Warm Wishes

Every Woman is entitled to understand what happened in her pregnancy when pre eclampsia strikes. I hope to be able to support that process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My Story   Fri 18 Jun 2010, 4:04 pm

Hi Louise,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you have been through PE too. Hope you find all the help and support you need on here.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Story   

Back to top Go down
My Story
Page 1 of 1