Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
thaiba2000
Forum Friend
thaiba2000

TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... Empty
PostSubject: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... EmptySun 05 Sep 2010, 10:34 pm

Hi everyone. My BP have been fine after having my children. My bp always went back to normal. BUT for the last month my bp has been kinda high and im very worried... Shocked

On the:

15th august 9pm 123/70 (my usual)

19th Aug 9.10pm 127/76 (my usual)

20th aug 9.25pm 118/66 (my usual)

21st aug 2.30pm 107/45 i was lying down and felt faint)
2nd reading 108/56
3rd reading 121/73

25th aug 8.35pm 128/90
9.40pm 124/89
10.10pm 124/91

26th aug 9.30am 133/86
12.45pm 123/89
8.52pm 126/83

Stopped checking for a while, then,

4th september 11.53am 135/87

while laying down: 11.55am 117/70 (my usual)

Im so scared right now because im trying for my 3rd baby now. Im not even pregnant yet and im having BPs like this when my normal is 111-127/65-76.

I went to the doctors about this but they said my BP is fine but my home monitor (which i have used thoughout my 2nd pregnancy)says something totally different. Its such a difference to my usual BP... Im scared Crying or Very sad ... I wish i asked the doctor what my BP was when he checked it...

Please help...

Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... EmptyMon 06 Sep 2010, 4:13 pm

Hi Thiaba,

You need to check your machine is clinically validated. If its not - throw it away.
It will say clinically validated on the box or on the unit itself.

Secondly, if it is not the 3BTO, it is not licenced to use in pregnacy so you would get very inaccurate results from it when you are pregnant.

Your BP is well within the normal ranges & it really does sound like you are getting unnecessarily anxious about it, which in turn is probably going to have the adverse effect.

Try not taking it again until you are pregnant & then see where you are from there.

Hope this helps
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
thaiba2000
Forum Friend
thaiba2000

PostSubject: Re: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... EmptyMon 06 Sep 2010, 9:06 pm

Thank you for replying Liz.

I dont think its clinically validated because i bought it for £10 at lloyds pharmacy 4 years ago. What i dont understand is that its given me good BPs up until that sudden low BP i got (on the 21st aug) and then its been high since then... Rolling Eyes

The BP readings are very much worrying my poor head and heart right now because my usual is so much lower...i dont know... However all this isnt taking away my excitement off having another baby because im ready.

Ive had a look at the Blood pressure monitors and they are quite expensive arent they? http://bpassoc-shop.org.uk/

3BTO-A(2) Blood Pressure Monitor Manufacturer's RRP £70.00 £59.99 Price includes VAT and delivery

The 3BTO-A(2) blood pressure monitor is clinically validated for accuracy in pregnancy (pregnancy-induced hypertension / pre-eclampsia / toxaemia of pregnancy) and has a 30-reading memory. Comes with both medium and large cuffs in the box. Can also be used by non-pregnant people for regular blood pressure measurement.

I guess they are a good investment but is there any way of hiring one or borrowing one from somewhere???

Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... EmptyTue 07 Sep 2010, 9:10 am

Hi Thiaba,

From what you have told me, it does sound like your machine is not one that has been clinically validated.
The validation process ensures that the machines are accurate between 1 & 3% depending on the model of the machine. It is highly likely that your machine is giving you inaccurate readings and on this basis I would suggest stop using it.
Not even for a 'rough guide' as this is not going to be helpful.

As it stands, the only model validated for use in pregnancy is the microlife 3BTO.
When you are pregnant, your blood pressure systems work in a different way and you generally have around 1 litre more blood.
Normal machines just cannot measure these factors and will give you an innacurate reading (especially non validated models) and can -

* Give you a false sense of security that can give you a 'normal reading' when in fact your BP is high putting you & baby at risk.
* Worry you by giving you readings that are all over the place.
* Panic you by giving you a high reading when in fact everything is normal.

So yes, the 3BTO does cost more in terms of money - but its priceless if you want accurate readings you can trust.

Hope this helps!
Liz

Back to top Go down
thaiba2000
Forum Friend
thaiba2000

PostSubject: Re: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... EmptyTue 07 Sep 2010, 10:20 am

Thank you Liz.
Ive actually just realised that the BP monitor is £60 INCLUDING vat and delivery which is fantastic. Im going to purchase it next week when i get paid. Just to confirm its the 3BTO-A(2) Blood Pressure Monitor?

The one that i have now doesnt say anywhere it had been clinically validated. It just states that it is QC passed. Its called the Fully Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor. Model KD-525 which i purchsed from a Lloyds pharmacy.
Bp measuring accuracy is +/- 3mmHg. Pulse accuracy +/- 5%.

If i get the other one will i still be able to use it even when im not pregnant because i want it to last long so i can use it when im old and grey Wink lol.

Should i just chuck this one away? My husband readings are always quite good... maybe i can keep it for him to use Rolling Eyes ?

Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... EmptyTue 07 Sep 2010, 11:17 am

Hi Thiaba,

I am aware of this model and I can confirm it is not clinically validated and suggest not using it at all.

Yes the monitor you will need is the Microlife 3BTO-A(2). This is clinically validated and validated to use in pregnancy as well as hyertensive pregnancy.

Microlife are going to be at the seminar on the 15th October if you want to go?

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
nicki
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... EmptyTue 07 Sep 2010, 11:33 am

I was very interested to read this as I have just borrowed my mum's BP machine as my BP was wobbling a bit. I am obviously having regular checks with the midwife but feel very anxious when I go now. THrough this thread I realise that this machine is not validated for pregnancy - Omron M6. I will not use it then - I'm not sure it was helping as I was still very anxious when taking my BP and it was high. I'm seeing the midwife today so will see what it is with her. Leave it to the professionals!!
Nicki
Back to top Go down
thaiba2000
Forum Friend
thaiba2000

PostSubject: Re: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... EmptyTue 07 Sep 2010, 3:41 pm

Just read a market review of my monitor, my motnitor may look posh and prefessional BUT its not got any validation whatsoever. The Microlife 3BTO-A(2) is excellent to use...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADFA_enGB335GB335&q=Fully+Automatic+Blood+Pressure+Monitor.+Model+KD-525 Its a PDF file...

Whats the difference between 3BTO-A(1) and 3BTO-A(2)?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....   TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high.... Empty

Back to top Go down

TTC. Not even pregnant yet but BP appears high....
Page 1 of 1