Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I guess i can say my journey starts from today....

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 17 Sep 2010, 10:48 am

I did a home pregnancy test and it was POSITIVE.

IM PREGNANT! bounce

I used some cheap pregnancy tests to begin with and all of them showed a faint 2nd line (one step strip tests). I had all the symptoms- nausea, tiredness, constant need to go to the loo so i thought i'd wait a little longer and get a proper HPT so i used First Response.

Already been to the doctors. Ive been given Folic acid and Low dose aspirin.

I want to take the Pregnancare but dont know wether to take both pregnacare AND the seperate folic acid or just have either ONE... Neutral

Well i guess my journey starts today... Im so excited and scared at the same time. Please pray for me everyone, im gona need them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 17 Sep 2010, 1:02 pm

Congratulations Thiaba.

Wishing you a long & uneventful pregnancy.

Kind wishes
Liz

Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 17 Sep 2010, 5:39 pm

Congratulations Thaiba! Thats great news. I am so happy for you. Here's to a long boring pregnancy.xxxx Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smithjackie419
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Sat 18 Sep 2010, 10:42 pm

bounce Congratulations!!! I'm so pleased for you! I hope you have a long and uneventful pregnancy, keep us updated on how you are doing even if it is uneventful as I'm sure it will be!!! I can imagine you will worry about PE throughout but I really hope that it does bring joy and excitement as every pregnancy should! keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you ! xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Mon 20 Sep 2010, 9:25 am

Congratulations cheers brilliant news Hope this pregnancy is all PE free.

My daughter has just had her Grandson Very Happy her second both PE Free she took aspirin and pregnacare but didnt take extra folic acid as there is enough in pregnacare.

looking forward to all the updates including all the wobbles that go with pregnancy and you will be looked after I wish you lots of luck

take care

Ingrid xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Mon 20 Sep 2010, 9:48 am

Thank you so much everyone! Its nice to get "happy" comments on here as some of my family members havent taken the news very well...i can understand their worry but im more in control and know so much more about PE than ever before.

Im taking the Pregnancare on its own as it has the 400mcg in it as well as lots of other good vitamins that are essential during this time. Im planning on taking it throughout the pregnancy. Im also taking low dose Aspirin... Im hoping all this will help keep PE away!

Im just "trying" not to get too excited until i reach 3 months... but do you know what, dont tell anyone but i am sooooo excited!!! bounce

Im going to need you all alot throughout the next 8-9 months. You guys are the best and always ALWAYS make me feel great! Very Happy

Ingrid, congratulations on the birth of your grandson!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smithjackie419
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Mon 20 Sep 2010, 4:52 pm

It so difficult isn't it, I'm not even planning another one (yet!) but already practically all my family have said "you're not going to have another are you?" and it really does upset me as I would dearly love more and I think in a couple of years I will give it some serious thought.

I just hope that your family will realise that you haven't just decided to get pregnant and that you have researched into PE and spoken to various experts and have a clear mind in terms of care and drugs that may delay even prevent you having PE. This is happy news and should be celebrated!!!! enjoy your pregnancy - being a mum is the best thing in the world and if we all worried about what could go wrong in life we'd never cross the road let alone have babies! xxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mossy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 08 Oct 2010, 3:23 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope you have a dull and uneventful pregnancy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Everything seems ok for now...   Wed 24 Nov 2010, 2:52 pm

I had my dating scan on the 11th November and baby is fine.... I went into the scan being 12 weeks and 2 days and then once they started the scan they told me im 12 weeks and 1 day...I wa like that cant be right because i know when i concieved but hey, maybe the baby is a good size so im not worried. Baby scan pic wasnt too clear so she gave it to us for free...

I had my booking appointment with my obstetric consultant at the hospital today and we discussed alot of things, He was my OB during my 2nd pregnancy and was very happy with him and glad i have him again. So we discussed my C-sections and that i may need a c-section again but he is happy for me to try a Vba2c if everything goes well during the pregancy. He told me to read up on the risks but he said he will be with me throughout and he will support me and assured me that if anything was to go wring in the Trial then emergency c-section team will be on hand...

Ive wanted a vaginal birth since my 1st baby but due to a failed induction it didnt go to plan... I cant belive he said he will support me...

Wish me luck everyone.

Im 14 weeks exactly today so fingers crossed i have more boring and uneventful days to come.

(I probably havent made any sense and probably have made so may spelling and grammer mistakes but im just feeling on top of the world right now)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bell
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Wed 24 Nov 2010, 4:42 pm

Hi Tabitha,

Congratulations on reaching 14 weeks. Thats brilliant news. I'm glad your consultant seems to be supportive and best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy.

Bell.xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: How many weeks am i????   Mon 03 Jan 2011, 10:59 am

Ok so im finding it really difficult to understand something so i thought i would share it with you guys.

I know exactly when i concieved but i also know that they calculate everything from the 1st day of my last period.
When i went to my dating scan (12 week scan) they measured me as 12 weeks and 1 day. The dating scan took place on the Thursday 11th November 2010. Basically on every wednesday i am up by another week (i know im not making sense sorry).

Last wednesday (29th december) i was exactly 19 weeks HOWEVER my midwife used her circle date calculater thingy and came up with 19+3 days i was like HUH???? I said i cant be because ive been calculating from my dating scan and im exaclty19 weeks. I remember at my 16 weeks app i was 16+1 and she calclated me as 17+4 ??????????????

Ive told her that she must be wrong but she insists using the circle thing because thats what they are supposed to use.... Anyway, im having a mini rant and it may be over something silly but shes making me further then what i feel i actually am and that can cause problems in the future...

My due date is 25th May 2011.

I have my Anomaly scan on 12 th Jan and i will be exactly 21 weeks (by my calculations).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Wed 05 Jan 2011, 12:26 pm

It sounds like the midwife is going on the LMP (date of your last menstrual period) rather than the scan date. I am pretty sure they are supposed to do the latter as that is considered more accurate. You should ask her why she thinks that date is better than the scan date next time you see her?

Best wishes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Wed 05 Jan 2011, 1:54 pm

Hi Thiaba,

Sorry I seem to have missed this bit of the thread!

As Jules has said it does sound like the MW has used the date of your LMP to guide her rather than the dating scan. Both are very subjective to be honest, and at best give a guide. Many women know when their period started but do not know when is the usual ovulation time in their cycle hence the use of a scan. But babies as we know, grow at different rates but all generally in a 'ball park' trend.
I shouldnt worry too much.

If its any consolation I have spoken to women in the past who have concieved via IVF and know exactly what gestation they are and when they concieved but the scans / dates have put them at differing times!

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes

Liz

thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 14 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm

Hey there everyone, thought i' write a short but sweet update on how my pregnancy is going.

Im currently 21+2.

On the 12th January i had my Anomaly scan and everything was great... The sonographer said baby is fine although it didnt move much so she didnt get to see the spine properly. I have a follow up scan on the 25th for this but she said as far as she could see everythings fine. I have my doppler scan on the 24th january and im really nervous about it but for some reason im feeling more positive in this pregnancy than my previous two. I am so much more in control and no more about the signs and symptoms of PE than i ever have.

All my family are really happy now (they werent very supportive when they 1st found out). My husband is being great although he does have his moments.

I still am not showing much of a bump or maybe its the horrid overhang from my previous c-sections thats covering the bump..i cant wait till im huge...i love being pregnant. Im going to makesure i apreciate and feel every second of this pregnancy just incase it has to end early like my other two. Hopefully it wont and like i said im feeling Grrrrrreat!

Will let you know how my other scans go and Liz i may need you to interpret some of the info from the scans.

Take care everyone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Sun 16 Jan 2011, 11:54 am

Hi Thiaba,

Im really glad everything is going so positively for you and that your family are being supportive. Let me know if you need any help.

I really hope the doppler holds more good news for you and that you might be able to relax a little more & really enjoy your pregnancy.

Best Wishes
Liz

thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Mon 24 Jan 2011, 12:14 pm

Hey everyone... I had my Doppler scan today at 22+6 weeks. Im sorry to say this but im very tearful right now...i dont know why but i just expected everything to be right as rain but it wasnt but then again it wasnt too bad either... Sad

Im going to copy down everything from the scan so you guys can help me understand it all although my OB already told me more or less everything there was to know... Just want to understand some of the figures.

He did another Anomaly scan.

Fetal measurments (plotted in relation to the normal mean and 5th to 95th centile)

BPD- 54.0mm
HC- 202.0mm
Posterior ventricle (Vp)- 5.0mm
TCD- 26.0MM
CM- 5.0mm
Nuchal fold thikness- 4.0mm
AC- 175.0MM
FL- 42.0MM
Humerous Length- 37.0mm
Tibia Length- 38.0mm

Estimated fetal weight- 544g - 1lbs 3ozs

Doppler Sad

R.Uterine Artery:
PI 1.00
RI 0.60
notch

L. Uterine Artery:
PI 0.80
RI 0.50
notch

Diagnosis: Impaired Placental blood flow

Thank you for your referral. The fetus is appropriately grown for gestation and appears structurally normal. Left fetal hand behind babys head- could not be examined in detail. Normal Liquor.

Uterine artery Doppler- bilateral notching. Unilateral increased resistance.

Already on Aspirin 75mg. Would need regular BP monitoring (atleast every 2 weeks) in the community.

Plan: Continue on aspirin 75mg daily. BP every 2 weeks in community. Serial growth scan (28-32-36) and follow up in ANC.

He has told me that i may get PE after 30 weeks of pregnancy and that a VBAC is totally out of the question if PE does occur. I told him that i still want a vbac BUT will assess the situation nearer to the time and wether i get PE or not plays a bit part in the decision. Obviously im not going to want to put myself and my baby at risk so for now im sticking with trial for VBAC and if PE or high Bp does occur... a repeat c-section it is Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ClaireS
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Thu 27 Jan 2011, 9:48 am

Hi Thaiba,

Sorry your doppler wasn't quite as good as you were hoping.

I had notching, and numbers off the graphs, when I had a doppler at 19 weeks. The consultant at that point said to me that it meant that I had had a 30% chance of reoccurance of PE, but that had increased to a 50% chance. (She also reminded me that it also meant that I still had a 50% chance of not getting it again). I had a repeat doppler scan at 22 weeks with similar results, but then I went on to have another doppler at 24 weeks and all was 'normal' no notching and all numbers back in normal range. To cut a long story short I went on to have my baby at 36 weeks, when my waters went - no PE.

Try and stay positive (not easy I know!)

Claire x

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jules
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 28 Jan 2011, 10:14 am

I don't really know how to answer this but I am vey sorry your doppler scan was not ideal. I realise that does increase your risks of getting PE again, but does not make it inevitable, and its good that your baby has grown well to date. I also had serial growth scans every 2 weeks from 28 weeks and I borrowed a machine validated in pregnancy to check my BP every day. Maybe you could ask for this if it would help put your mind at rest? I also got some urine dipsticks to check protein myself at home and did this several days a week. I was lucky enough to have normal dopplers the second time though (and no pre-eclampsia). However, the close monitoring I had was still important as it picked up other complications and allowed me to have a healthy baby by c setion. I understand why you would not want another c section (mine was not great!) but you always have to keep your mind on the real goal - a healthhy baby (and healthy mother!) - and if you get that how it comes really does not matter. Take care x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 28 Jan 2011, 4:36 pm

Hi Thiaba,

I just wanted you to know I have seen your post here and Im sorry the news was disappointing for you.

I will answer you in detail over the weekend I promise.
Ive just started in a new role where I cannot use the internet so freely - hence my quick sneak around now!

I think both Jules and Claire have summed it up though that just because your risks are now almost certainly increased (and I say certainly because nothing has actually change - you just have firm evidence now) that still does not mean you will definatley get PE....but the biggest 'prize' is the safe arrival of your healthy baby.

'Talk' to you over the weekend.

Warm wishes
Liz

thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 28 Jan 2011, 5:09 pm

Thank you Liz for youre "sneak around" reply Laughing It means alot.

Thank you ClaireS and Jules.

I was just so shocked that day when they told me that the blood flow could be better. I know it looks as though ive emphasised my worries mainly on the "VBAC" but thats not the case. Im just worried that i wont be able to keep this baby healthy inside me...If there are blood flow problems again then its like ive just walked into a danger zone in my free will. Im eating so muc healthier than my previous pregnancies- more milk and fruit. I have to say ive gone off chicken and meat ubut do eat it occasionally because i still have to cooke for my husband and kids.

A c-section scares me because...well... the whole experience is just traumatic unless you know you have a healthy baby inside. I mean with my c-sections the babys were scooped out and take away from me. They brought them over for me to see BUT i had so much stuff on my face including the oxygen mask that i couldnt see them...Oh ive got so many issues regarding my births which i have posted on my other post on the "ask Liz" bit but to be honest its so amazing how you can already bond with the growing human being inside you. I already love this baby so much that i just want it to grow properly and come out in the safest possible way.

Even though i was feeling really negative on the day i posted about my doppler, i am now feeling positive that atleast my baby is growing properly and hopefully it will continue to do so until its birth. Both my other two were IGUR babies but doing great now.

Im stil taking 75mg LDA Very Happy and pregnacare (but oh how sick do they make me feel.... No )

I have a growth scan at 28 weeks so lookslike thats my next target but with all these targets im setting i feel as though im wishing my pregnancy away...i want to enjoy every moment of it but its so difficult.

Once i do have my baby everyones invted to mine for a curry Wink because i know i will be that happy if everything turns out ok.

Thank you for reading my posts and i will probably be posting next when im around 28 weeks.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mossy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Sun 30 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm

Hi

I had a similar thing happen to me at my 22 week scan. I was sure everything would befine and was devestated when they spoke about my blood flow being imapired. My aspirin dose was doubled (from 75mg to 150mg daily) and like you had other growth scans put in place.

I wasn't going the VBAC route so cannot comment on that.

From my consultant at that appointment talking about getting me as far as 34 weeks I had my beautiful baby son at 38+2. I honestly believe the extra dose in aspirin helped me (I have no medical evidence to support this) But from then on my BP was low and I had no more blood flow issues.

I remember posting on here about my worries and many saying doppler flow is not an exact science.

I know it is hard but try to remain positive (this is me saying this in hindsight....I do know how hard it is!)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Wed 16 Feb 2011, 12:26 pm

Hi Thiaba,

Fi8rstly - huge apologies for not getting back to you sooner - its seems the planets conspired to keep me away from all computers!

Ok - the doppler!
The PI mean pulsility index and the RI is the reistance index.

What this means is the volume of blood moving through the artery at each measure pulse.

In normal pregnancy, as placental growth continues there is an overall increase in the total number of small arterial channels (resistance vessels)
This causes a normal drop in vascular resistance in the umbilical artery. In cases of umbilical placental insufficiency, there is a decrease in the resistance vessel count thereby leading to high resistance in the umbilical artery.

As gestation progresses, a low resistance in the umbilical artery is seen as good diastolic flow and fall in indices. High resistance in the umbilical artery is characterized by a fall in diastolic flow and an absence/reversal of diastolic flow.

In abnormal outcome pregnancies, the uterine and umbilical arteries had a reduced diastolic flow or even absent/reversed diastolic flow.

In the 2nd trimester the normal mean values are 0.36 - 0.71 so your readings Thiaba are just reaching just above the threshold.

There is quite a good table here that demonstrates it relatively well. http://www.ijri.org/viewimage.asp?img=IndianJRadiolImaging_1999_9_3_119_28317_16.jpg

The notching is simply a pictorial way of showing the resistance.

As I explained beofre Thiaba - your risks of getting PE have not changed, they have simply been confirmed.

I hope that this very late reply can at least begin to explain it for you.

I hope that you are doing okay and baby is growing nicely.

Best Wishes
Liz

thaiba2000
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Fri 04 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm

Hey there everyone...

Im currently 28 weeks and 2 days. I had a growth scan yesterday and everything is great. Baby is head down at the moment and has been in that position since around 24 weeks.
My blood pressures are still great and no protein in urine except the odd trace here and there.
Im still on LDA which i take just before i go to bed but unfortunately had to stop the pregnacare tablets quite a while back because they just made feel so sick.

My next target is to get to 30 weeks (so im taking it 2 weeks at a time) without any problems. Im being monitored weekly now so that keeps my mind at peace although half the time im the one whos having to remind mymidwife what care i should be given which is quite fustrating.

Keep your fingers crossed for me guys... I need you all now more than ever because i cant help but feel nervous. 30 weeks was when i was diagnosed with PE in my last pregnancy..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smithjackie419
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Sun 06 Mar 2011, 1:29 pm

Hi Tabitha

Just wanted to say how pleased I am that you are doing so well in your pregnancy! I haven't been on this site for ages as my baby girl has been taking up all my time but I did read about the scan issues but it sounds like things are going well now. I will keep my fingers crossed that you get well into the third trimester! I do hope you get the Vbac you want but I'm sure that however your new baby makes his or her way into this world as long as its healthy you won't care too much in the end xxx

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   Thu 10 Mar 2011, 11:32 am

Hi Thiaba,

Im glad things are going well.
I can appreciate your worry at reaching your 30 week mark.

I hope it all remains uneventful.

Best Wishes
Liz

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I guess i can say my journey starts from today....   

Back to top Go down

I guess i can say my journey starts from today....
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next