Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My story about Mad & Mack

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penny
Forum Friend

PostSubject: My story about Mad & Mack   Wed 04 Jun 2008, 8:37 am

Hello everyone,
Will try and keep it short as poss so here goes.. ( sorry have had to copy and paste most of it from old site but shortened it a bit)

5 Years ago I was pregnant with my first child, all was going well until week 25 when protein was detected in my urine, for nearly 2 weeks i was diagnosed and treated for a UTI until a locum midwife realised that baby seemed small for dates. I was immediately rushed to Bedford where a scan and blood tests showed severe IUGR and PE. I had no other symptoms apart from small baby and protein++. Bedford panicked, gave me steroids and sent me to Luton to deliver. On arriving at Luton they felt i still had time and monitored me with alternate daily dopplers and twice weekly growth scans, the whole time keeping me in hospital, this continued for almost 4 weeks!! where i was then sent back to bedford (who at the time could accept babies born 30wks onwards). I was 31 weeks and bedford were shocked to see me still pregnant, the following day a growth scan showed things were critical, EDF was pretty much absent by this point, and by this time i had protein++++ but still no other PE symptoms. Another (controversial) course of steroids was given and the decision was taken to deliver and Maddison arrived that afternoon by c.section weighing 2lb 2oz.

My condition deteriorated after delivery as my kidneys failed, fortunately on way to ICU the plasma expander i had been given worked and I stabilised. It was another 3 days before I was well enough to meet my daughter ( this being the hardest part and the worst feelings to come to terms with, which i still have 'issues' about)
Maddie came home weighing 3lb 13oz after 60 days. She was fed on nutriprem2 and soon piled on the weight. I had expressed for 5 weeks but very poor quality and quantity made BF impossible.
Maddie is now a very healthy almost 5 yr old who has gone from being developmentally delayed to almost top of the class in her 1st yr at school! I am soo proud of her.

A year later i suffered an ectopic pregnancy (unplanned and very unexpected) though fortunately my tube was saved tho left scarred.

The following year we started to try for another and fell pregnant within 3 months. I was given scans weekly from week5 to 10 to check all was well (ie:not ectopic) and prescribed aspirin which i took from 6 to 36 weeks. I had a doppler scan at 24 weeks in luton and monthly growth scans. We and my consultant were totally convinced the PE would strike again and to this day i find it hard to believe it didnt.(Though i did have protein + present througout the pregnancy.) I was induced on my due date and had Mackenzie naturally (with epidural and ventouse) who weighed a very healthy 7lb 7oz.
I now have 2 very lively children who every day i am thankful for. I know not everyone has such a happy ending and life is not fair. But i really hope that someone can take some hope themselves from my story. I know all i wanted to hear was some positivity when i was going through it all.
I feel very passionate that I should provide the hope that i wasnt given.
Thanks for reading.

Penny xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story about Mad & Mack   Mon 16 Jun 2008, 8:44 pm

Dear Penny,
What an inspirational story with a lovely happy ending - you've given me lots of hope & as with all the stories on here made me realise how lucky I am to have Yasmin.
I really hope you're getting help dealing with your feelings about the difficult days after Maddison's birth, I can't imagine how hard that must have been.
With lots of love & hugs
Mouse xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story about Mad & Mack   Fri 20 Jun 2008, 8:16 pm

Hi Mouse,
Thank you for your warm reply. My aim is to offer the hope (that i didnt get) to people in the same situation i was following severe PE and a pre term birth.
I am so proud of my little treasures and can deal with the bad memories normally all the time these days, there are so many good ones now to drown the bad ones out but I do get very emotional and the guilt seems to only hit me around her birthday, which was only a couple of weeks ago. I have coping mechanisms now whereby I go OTT for her birthday trying to make up for things, the only bad thing is she is now very spoilt! Embarassed Embarassed but I find it helps me feel better. Laughing

Anyway I would love to hear your story, Yasmin is a beautiful name. xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My story about Mad & Mack   

Back to top Go down

My story about Mad & Mack
Page 1 of 1