Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Diabetic

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
emmie
Forum Friend
emmie

Diabetic Empty
PostSubject: Diabetic   Diabetic EmptySat 26 Mar 2011, 3:39 pm

Hi Liz,

It's looking increasingly likely that the diabetes I developed in pregnancy is here to stay. My fasting bloods I had done came back high and I've just had more tests done to confirm that I am diabetic. I am quite mad about it because I eat well, am not overweight and am back down below my pre pregnancy weight!!

Anyway, just a couple of things, it keeps going round and round in my head that I was diabetic during my first pregnancy when I lost my son (I delivered before I did the GTT) and just wanted to know whether if I was an undiagnosed diabetic could have contributed to me getting the pre e and especially so earl?. Also, if it did come back I was diabetic, how would this affect any future pregnancies I would have considering I was pre e free with my second son?

If I do decide to have any more I would request a meeting with my Consultant to go over these things but just interested to hear yours (or anyone elses!) views/experiences.

Thank you
Emma
Back to top Go down
jules
Forum Friend
jules

Diabetic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diabetic   Diabetic EmptySun 27 Mar 2011, 7:01 am

Hi Emma,

I am certain that diabetes is a risk factor for PE, so yes, I think it might help to explain why you developed it so early in your first pregnancy. I don't know about the risk estimates - you need to ask an expert for that - but obviously you have had one "normal" pregnancy now so that must help!

And congrats on getting back below your pre-pregnancy weight. I am quite a long way from that right now. Its so unfair that you still have these health problems!

Best wishes
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Diabetic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diabetic   Diabetic EmptyThu 31 Mar 2011, 12:35 pm

Hi Emmie,

Jules is absolutley correct, diabetes can have a part to play in PE and so its very possible that there was an underlying element in your first pregancy.

As for subsequent pregnancies, as always good antenatal care will be the key along with your vigilance & knowledge!
There is absolutley no reason why, if managed correctly, another pregnancy would not be a successful one. I would definately suggest seeking an expert opinion from both the endocrinolgist and your obstetrician to maximise the opportunity for optimum care.

Diabetes UK may also have some top tips - Diabetes UK

I hope this helps,

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Sponsored content

Diabetic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diabetic   Diabetic Empty

Back to top Go down

Diabetic
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: