Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
*Carole*
Forum Friend
*Carole*

Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien Empty
PostSubject: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptySun 05 Jun 2011, 11:53 am

Dear Liz
I'm a member of a baby talk forum and a lady has been posting asking for advice. I've copied and pasted her messages (with permission) as she is now admitted again to hopsital and can't register on her phone.

First messgae Wed, May 18 2011 21:40
Hey. I dont know if im just letting it all out or asking for advice but any comments or experiences are much appreciated. Im 19 weeks pregnant today, wednesday. On saturday I rang nhs direct as for few days id had swollen ankles, excessive weight gain and a constant headache. Went to the out of hours doc who said blood pressure was high. Got admitted to hospital and been here since. Saturday night my blood pressure hit 210 over 160. The week b4 at midwife it was a normal 120 over 70. Tested me for everything going. Nothing obvious has appeared to be causing this. Im still awaiting urine results. Theyre keeping me in till tablets lower it and get the correct doseage. Theyv ruled out preeclampsia as im under 20 wks altho I dont understand the difference that 1week makes?... Im just scared for my baby. Anyone been through this? Xx

Update Thu, Jun 2 2011 13:13
Thanks for your replies ladies. I was in hospital for nearly 2 weeks, the bp went down slightly but still way too high. They then wanted to move me about and in the end i got myself a bit distressed, and i couldnt relax so the consultant agreed that i could go home and have a midwife come round every day to check bp. Its has since gone down enormously, on the medication, altho still tempermental. I have piled on weight in last couple weeks which is all fluid as i look like the elephant man. Its not pre eclampsia so far, just unexplained high bp and extreme swelling.

Im just scared now for baby. Im 21 weeks and basically the mw said i need to get to 24weeks at least so if the worst happens he's got a chance. We had 20 week scan last week and my little baby boy is measuring at 18 1/2 weeks instead fo 20 which is prob due to the high bp restricting his growth, altho now bp stabilised, SHOULD be ok, im told.

So here i am, signed off work, trying to relax

further Update Sun, Jun 5 2011 12:27
So following my post about high blood pressure, iv been having daily visits from mw. Had alot of protein so admitted me yesterday. Seeing kidney doc tomor as bloods are all normal. Now been told got to have daily injection as the swelling is so extreme Sad im only 21+4 weeks im losing hope and getting seriously scared now. Anyone known anything like this B4? XxxXxx

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptySun 05 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

Hi Carole,

It does sound like this is pre-eclampsia despite mums bloods being within normal limits. Pre eclampsia can clinically be diagnosed after 20 weeks as before this time there is little demand made of the placenta. However, that does not mean the placenta cannot be failing. I would strongly suggest your friend asks for a doppler scan to measure the blood flow to and from the uterine arteries. This will give a clearer indication of exactly how well baby is coping and the liklihood of the placenta failing. Most importantly it will also offer a clearer path how best to support mum through out her pregnancy. She doesnt say if there are any other risk factors that need to be considered. It may be worth asking her consultant to offer her a steroid injection in case things do deteriorate and early delivery is necessary.

On the plus side, it does sound like she is getting good monitoring and as long as she knows what symptoms to look out for she has the best defences. Babys movemnts may be a key factor here - many mums notice baby is quiet or unusually active. As always instict here will help too.

The blood pressure medication will help to buy her the time she desperatley needs but perhaps a pot of dipsticks may help to keep her feeling more in control and the reassurance that she is doing everything she can to protect her little one and this is not her fault.

I wish her a long pregnancy and very best wishes,

Thank you for your support too Carole
Liz

Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
*Carole*
Forum Friend
*Carole*

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptySun 05 Jun 2011, 2:38 pm

thank you for your prompt reply Liz. I have passed on your message.
Back to top Go down
*Carole*
Forum Friend
*Carole*

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptyWed 08 Jun 2011, 1:45 am

my friend seems to be in an impossible situation. please keep her in your thoughts.

Tue, Jun 7 2011 19:46 Update- we are probably gonna lose our baby boy ...
"So swelling is getting worse. Theyv done test after test and basically ruled out everything so conclude must be pre eclampsia. Seeing as im 22 weeks tomor they have told me its only a matter of time b4 I get worse and they have to deliver him. Could be days could be weeks. They are not hopeful. Me and hubby are in hospital in pieces. I feel like my heart is about to be ripped out, and theres nothing we can do about it. We already love him so much its just unbearable. I feel immense failure as he is healthy, its just my body thats letting him down. Its not his fault at all Sad "
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptyWed 08 Jun 2011, 10:15 am

Carole,
Please tell you friend it is not her fault. PE is a thief. It is cruel and indiscriminate and too painful to bear at times.
I hold your friend to the light and wish her at least another few weeks of pregnancy to give her baby boy a chance.

Warmest Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
jules
Forum Friend
jules

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptyWed 08 Jun 2011, 11:29 am

This is all horribly reminiscent - as although my pe was a bit later (25 weeks) I knew the baby's chances were not great and the waiting in hospital for the worst to happen (whilst still trying to cling to hope) is just agonising. I am thinking of your friend at this horrible time x
Back to top Go down
*Carole*
Forum Friend
*Carole*

PostSubject: sensitive update   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptyTue 14 Jun 2011, 8:48 am

Just to let you know that Shelley's baby boy was born sleeping yesterday afternoon at 22 +5.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptyTue 14 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

Dear Carole,

I am so sorry for your friends loss, please do pass on my most sincere condolences and of course we will all be here for her if she wants.

Warm wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
jules
Forum Friend
jules

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptyThu 16 Jun 2011, 2:34 pm

Dear Carole,

I hate hearing about these horrible stories and feel for your friend. Please let her know I am thinking of her and if she ever wants to talk with anyone who has lost a baby to PE I would want to try to help. xx
Back to top Go down
shelley74shelley
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien EmptySun 26 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

Thank you for your help and support. Unfortunately the pre e was too seveer and too early on for my darling baby Charlie to survive. He passed away inside me and was delivered at 22+5 weeks. It looks like he was affected for weeks before as he was only 250g, about half the weight he should have been. xx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien   Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice for a friend 21+4 high BP swelling +protien
Page 1 of 1