Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD???????

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fiveisanawfullybignumber
Forum Friend
fiveisanawfullybignumber

Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD??????? Empty
PostSubject: Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD???????   Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD??????? EmptyTue 02 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

DD saw a pead yesterday as she is 15m and not weight bearing, no crawling but bum shuffling and has only just learnt to roll over and can only occasionaly get from laying to sitting. HV and docs were worried about unstable hips, but her xray thankfully ruled out hip dysplasia.
However pead did say she has hyperflexible jooints and lowered muscle tone, he said he could spot it from the minute we walked in from how she was postured while I carried her.

I have been worried for a while that her traumatic birth may have caused some minor damage affecting her motor skills. I had two Eclamptic seizures, her heartrate was v fast at times with long decellerations after some contractions. When she was eventually born it was all a bit chaotic. Born through the cord, it was wrapped around her neck a few times (not uncommon I know) but it was also very very twisted, to the point where it looked like an old fashioned telephone wire or a spiralled candle. A combination of all these things surely must have meant some impaired blood and oxygen flow to the placenta and her. The birth hospital denies either of us were at any risk. Suspect

She was in full uncooperative mode yesterday for the pead, having a meltdown over weighing and seeing him. At least he's seen her in full swing! He wants to monitor her progress, see her again in 3m, at a different time of day to see if he can do a more full evaluation of her playing etc, then see her again at 2 to see how her speech is developing.
Looking back she has missed all her motor skills major milestones, she didn't smile till she was just over 3m, but i blamed that on her reflux pain.sad she's a bright little button mentally, very alert, just giggled in delight when she saw a box of blueberries heading her way.

Anyone else go through something similar. She has 4 older siblings, and I don't like to compare, but she is developing very differently to her older brothers and sisters.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD???????   Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD??????? EmptyTue 02 Aug 2011, 9:36 pm

Hi,

Is this Florence you are talking about? Born at 38 weeks?
I have some info on prematurity and motor skills and to a lesser extent on maternal hypertension and the effects on baby.
Its alot so I just need to be sure what Im posting or it might mean unnecessary reading!

Failing that, Im working with a developmental paediatrician on development so can certainly prod her for further info!

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
fiveisanawfullybignumber
Forum Friend
fiveisanawfullybignumber

PostSubject: Re: Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD???????   Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD??????? EmptyWed 03 Aug 2011, 7:59 am

Hi Liz, thanks for your reply. Yes, it is Florence I'm concerned about, so not a premmie, no.

A little (well long but abridged) back story, no one was in the least bit worried about PE untill I actually seized. Was in being induced at 38 weeks due to GBS and the fact I give birth terribly quickly so needed time on AV antibiotics rather than a mad panic and baby at risk. Fetal monitoring in the afternoon and all ok. Baby heartrate on the higher side of normal I was told, but apparently still within acceptable guidelines. Next monitored at about 10am next morning, spent all night mildly contracting after prostin gel but waiting for space on delivery ward to break waters and progress (that's when all hell breaks loose for me.)
At 9am monitoring, babys heart rate was too fast, 180-195bpm. By 9.20am a deep decelleration was seen with only a mild contraction so i was moved upto delivery ward to speed up induction and get baby out.
At about 10.20am I had the first seizure, after this it was noted that baby had progressed back up into my tummy and was no longer engaged but heart rate seemed better.
The day seems to blur after this, but according to my notes I had a second seizure at 4.10pm.
There was still no sign of baby decending at that point even though I was on syntocin by then.
By about 5.50 baby was down and i was starting to push, but a large decelleration was noted, down to 50bpm, slow to recover. There had been previous largeish decellerations for about 10-15m.
On assesment I was fully dialated but there was a large mass felt below my pubic bone, they were unsure what it was, ???elbow??? is writen, emergency bell pushed again.
They just wanted to get her out so i was encouraged to push and they delivered her through the cord. It was wrapped around her neck 3 times I think , but as I've said before the really strange thing was the twisting of it. The senior midwife said it was so unusual, she'd never seen anything like it before. It was completely coiled tight like a spring. She encouraged us to take a photo of it which I have on my mobile phone if that helps.
Her Apgar scores were 9 at 1min, 10 at 5mins.
Obviously Florence was being affected by having this unusual cord coiled around her neck, could this have been the cause of the Eclampsia? And as I've asked earlier could all these things have contributed to the problems she's having now. Don't get me wrong, she's a bright little button mentally, but seems to be struggling with her motor skills etc.
Many thanks for any help you can give Liz, i know ours is a very unusual case.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD???????   Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD??????? EmptyWed 03 Aug 2011, 10:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for all the extra info.
I will have a look back through past papers and see what I can find that might be relavent. Failing that I shall ask my colleague when she comes back from her holidays!

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
fiveisanawfullybignumber
Forum Friend
fiveisanawfullybignumber

PostSubject: Re: Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD???????   Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD??????? EmptyWed 03 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

Many thanks Liz.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD???????   Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD??????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Eclampsia affecting motor development of DD???????
Page 1 of 1