Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My story - PET & HELLP

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: My story - PET & HELLP   Wed 02 Jul 2008, 1:18 pm

I feel very lucky that my problems didn't start until later on in my pregnancy than a lot of people on this thread, & that it had a very happy ending, but having just had my daughter's 1st birthday & being 22 weeks pregnant with number 2, there are lots of emotions flying around & I felt it might help to put it all down here.
We had lots of problems trying to conceive & tried for several years. On our 5th & final go at ICSI we were absolutely over the moon when we found out I was pregnant. At our nuchal scan they found I had high hormone levels which could be an indicator of placental problems later on so they suggested I have a growth scan between 30-32 weeks.
My pregnancy went really well, & after the initial vomiting I loved every minute of it. Because of the fertility treatment I took clexane (heparin injections) until 28 weeks & aspirin until 32 weeks. At 32 weeks I had the growth scan which showed some slowing in the rate of the abdominal circumference & they suggested I should see my obstetrician. I saw them the next Wednesday (33 weeks) & they found that my BP was up from booking but not abnormal & I had 1+ of protein. I was really puffy - even my eyes, but still didn't think anything might be wrong. Because myself & my husband are GPs they suggested I check my urine regularly over the next few days & that they would see me in a week.
Over the weekend I developed 3+ protein so went up to hospital on the Sunday. The registrar was a bit dismissive & because my BP was OK said that it was most likely to be due to an infection & would settle. My husband wasn't happy & called the on-call obstetrician on the Monday who said I should be admitted. By that time I had 4+ protein & she said I would have delivered by the Friday so they gave me steroid injections to make sure her lungs would be ok.
My protein continued to rise, but my BP & blood tests were OK & Yasmin was doing fine so they wanted to try to get me to 37 weeks, so I settled in for the wait.
On the Thursday afternoon I developed a really awful pressure type pain under my ribs - initially I thought it was bad wind but went to the loo & that didn't help, I tried Gaviscon in case it was indigestion but that didn't help. My bloods had been normal that morning so I didn't think it could be anything & didn't say anything for a couple of hours. I told a midwife who called the doctors & eventually saw a junior SHO who said it was probably just indigestion & gave me some ranitidine, but did do some bloods. By the time the bloods came back I was in agony - couldn't breathe/sit/stand & was vomiting. The bloods showed my liver tests had gone through the roof & that my platelets had started to drop. I was wheeled straight round to the delivery suite.
I was quite surprised that they decided to induce me rather than go straight to section but they said a section was too risky due to the drop in platelets. I was in so much pain already I couldn't imagine pushing out a baby too! The registrar didn't know how to put in the pessary to induce me so my husband had to read the instructions out to her - it was a bit of a farce!
In the morning I hadn't dilated at all & my bloods were getting worse so they manually dilated my cervix Shocked & broke my waters & started syntocinon. They put in an epidural even though I didn't want one because my platelets were dropping & they said they couldn't do it once they were really low. They started magnesium sulphate to stop me fitting.
By the afternoon I still hadn't dilated despite having a massive contraction every minute & Yasmin was showing signs of distress so I was very relieved when they suggested a section. My epidural was blocked & despite my platelets being below the safety level they put in another one & topped it up, but unfortunately it didn't work so I had to have a massive dose of morphine during the section so was a bit out of it, but did hear the beautiful noise of my baby girl's first cry. She was absolutely fine & luckily didn't need to go to SCBU. She was 4lb 9oz & perfect.
I was in HDU for 24 hours. My BP started to go very high so I was started on 2 types of medication. I was a bit surprised but pleased to be sent home after 3 days. I had the regular midwife visits at home but nobody told offered to talk about what we'd been through, so it was a godsend to find Liz & everyone else on the other thread a few months later.
Our gorgeous girl was a year old 4 days ago & other than being a bit small no-one would know she had been a bit prem. We feel so unbelievably lucky to have her in our lives & to have had the lucky outcome that we did.
I am having lots of reassuring visits this pregnancy & everything is OK so far, so I just have to hope that PET & HELLP don't raise their ugly heads, or if they do it will be later on & won't put this baby at risk.
Thanks so much for 'listening' - feels really good to get this out!
Mouse xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz Pidgley
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Wed 02 Jul 2008, 3:43 pm

Hi Mouse,

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
I am not at all suprised to hear you are experiencing mixed emotions right now.
Birthdays are such an event in that not only are they the day our children celebrate their arrival but also the anniversary of the day we as mums got to the 'crisis' point and for some the day our babies became angels.

Whilst the excitment for our children, especially on first birthdays can be overwhelming so to can it be a bitter sweet day. Being pregnant again at the same time can simply serve to 'bring home' all the dreams we missed out on the first time around.
But happier memories will over lap and the sadder ones, although never leave, do become a distant memory.

Happy 1st Birthday to Tamsin.

Warm wishes to you all.
Liz

ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Wed 02 Jul 2008, 6:48 pm

flower Happy 1st birthday Tamsin flower

Mouse Just to wish you well in this Pregnancy and I hope it all goes PE free when are you due?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Wed 02 Jul 2008, 8:06 pm

Hi Mouse,
Thank you for sharing your story. I totally agree with what Liz said about the good memories overlapping the bad. It does take time and at times feels you are back to square 1 but 5 yrs on i do feel much more at peace.
Of course birthdays are always going to be that bit extra emotional and of course you have the added emotions of the ICSI treatment thrown in.
Just out of interest did you manange to concieve without much help this time?

I hope Yasmin had a wonderful birthday, she is a very gorgeous little girl.
Will look foward to hearing more from you as your pregnancy progresses.

Love Penny xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Wed 02 Jul 2008, 8:19 pm

Thanks so much for your kind messages.
I'm due on 4th November & yes it's a little natural miracle! Something we never believed would happen & hence happened far sooner than we were expecting!
I can't get my signature to work on my profile otherwise would have my EDD on display.
Love
Mouse xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Wed 02 Jul 2008, 8:29 pm

oh thats such a lovely thing to hear. I bet it was such a shock!

Have you set YES on your preferences to allow signature to be attached?
Just a thought though i am rubbish at computers.

I hope you are getting better care from your hospital now than when you had Yasmin?

Love Penny x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HelenA
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Fri 04 Jul 2008, 7:37 pm

Mouse, Yasmin looks so adorable! Thankyou for sharing your story. I hope that your pregnancy continues to develope without complications.Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mouse
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Fri 04 Jul 2008, 9:00 pm

Thanks Penny - it should be working now!
xxxx

...no it's not Mad will keep trying xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ingrid
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Sat 05 Jul 2008, 10:49 am

Hi Mouse
Just managed to do my signature this is how to do it:-

After you have done your signature and saved it go to preferences scroll down and tick the yes button on "always attach my signature" and then save that hope this works.

Ingrid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alka
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   Thu 17 Jul 2008, 9:54 am

Hi Mouse

Goodness our stories are so similar! Your second pregnancy has given me real hope. I know exactly what you went through and how scared you must've been.

Alka x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My story - PET & HELLP   

Back to top Go down

My story - PET & HELLP
Page 1 of 1