Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Auto immune problem?

Go down 
+5
Annika
HelenA
mouse
ingrid
mikerich
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mikerich
Befriender

Auto immune problem? Empty
PostSubject: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 11:18 am

Its in the news. Click through to www.pre-eclampsia.blogspot.com

Unfortunately the blogspot no longer exists. I will publish the research in its entirety from another site.
Back to top Go down
ingrid
Forum Friend
ingrid

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 1:43 pm

Thank you Mike for the info but I think many a mum will take exception to the fact that they think having many different partners could contributeto PE when the vast majority of women stay with one partner I know my daughter would be upset if people started pointing the finger assuming she had many partners.

Not sure if you notice recent postings when by a chance remark I made about my daughter not going back on the Mini Pill as she feels it was the pill to blame for what happened, since then we have had a few mums that were all on the same pill some caught like Samantha while on the pill others not long after coming of the Pill coincidence maybe? but on such a small forum it does ask the question what if?

Ingrid
Back to top Go down
mouse
Forum Friend
mouse

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 2:20 pm

Thanks Mike - that's really interesting. Part of our fertility problem was immune issues with me - I seemed to reject the embryos they put in my womb very early on. The only cycle that worked was where they gave me IVIG (a sort of blood transfusion that helps to dampen down the immune response) before they transferred the embryos & again when I was pregnant. Even so, early on in that pregnancy there were signs that the placenta wasn't working properly. I think I was just lucky that I was on heparin & aspirin until so late (part of normal procedure for the fertility clinic I was at) otherwise I'm sure PET would have occurred a lot earlier with a very different outcome for both of us.
Keep the interesting articles coming..
xx
Back to top Go down
HelenA
Forum Friend
HelenA

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

Hi, I find this interesting as I had rheumatic fever when I was 18 which I believe(though I may be wrong) is also an auto immune reaction to a throat infection. It does make you think.
Back to top Go down
Annika
Forum Friend
Annika

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 8:42 pm

Interesting research. However, a bit annoyed that the main angle picked up on by Dr Macdonald was the potential link between number of sexual partners (presumably with which one has not used protection/barrier methods) and incidence of PE. Such comments are too readily picked up on by the media and we really don't want such labels or the possible assertion that our own behaviour has resulted in PE (another way to blame ourselves). Personally I don't feel such a label applies to me so could not help explain my 2 PE incidences.

On another possible autoimmune issue, I do carry rare blood antibodies (rhesus E antibody) which have caused some probs in my pregnancies (as my husband has the blood antigen-E- that I react to, and any baby of ours has a 50% chance of having this antigen so causing a possible reaction by my blood). I did wonder before if this could at all be linked to PE- esp. as when I developed HELLP with Sam my blood was in the process of starting to "attack" his blood- whereas with Mairi my antibodies hadn't increased and PE was much milder. My obs couldn't answer this and as far as I know no research has been done on this.

Glad they have found another avenue to explore anyhow- anything that might offer a chance of a cure or early detection is great in my book.

Thanks Mike for posting this,

Annika
Back to top Go down
Penny
Forum Friend
Penny

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 8:50 pm

Without it seeming an another attack on apec, why, if Dr Macdonald is the ce of apec who was involved in the research has she not bothered to put anything on the apec site about it?
Another chance to see how much they are neglecting the support site and another excuse to praise Liz for setting this one up! and thanks to Mike for keeping us informed xxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptyFri 01 Aug 2008, 8:57 pm

I have suffered from Raynaud's in the past which again is an auto-immune condition - makes me suspicious of the link. Cx
Back to top Go down
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptySat 02 Aug 2008, 6:57 pm

MMMMM i'm not so sure i didn't have any barrier contraception before i fell pregnant and have been with the same partner!!
I have also never had anything that could be linked to my immune system, only the usual childhood illnesses.

I could be a exception, however i did find the research very interesting it sounds hopefull fingers crossed that so many other women wouldn't have to suffer!!
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? EmptySat 02 Aug 2008, 11:34 pm

I have posted my reply on the Blogspot, however I agree with Mikes comments about known research (or the lack of it) into quantity of sexual partners with incidence of pre-eclampsia.

I think that mis-informed statements by a contributor to the article simply serves to add potential guilt factors to any women who have suffered pre-eclampsia that is wholly unnecessary.
I also seems (in my interpretation) to lay blame for the condition to promiscuity.
Again this comment is inaccurate, pre-eclampsia is a horrible & indiscriminate condition for which sufferers hold no blame.

Lets hope that research continues & that a better understanding can be found for such a devastating condition soon.
Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Auto immune problem?   Auto immune problem? Empty

Back to top Go down

Auto immune problem?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: