Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My Story

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cherrybird1978
Forum Friend

My Story Empty
PostSubject: My Story   My Story EmptyTue 05 Aug 2008, 9:28 am

This is probably so similar to everyone else on here but I wanted to share my story too. In february of 2004 I found out I was pregnant but started to bleed quite a bit and my gp said I had a miscarriage. A couple of days later I became extremely sick and was rushed to hospital by ambulance. It turned out I had an ectopic pregnancy and my fallopian tube had ruptured causing the bleeding. Before going to surgery I really thought I was going to die as I couldn't breathe.
Well needless to say I survived thankfully and became pregnant around christmas of 2005. The start of the pregnancy went well with no sickness or complications. I have a severely curved spine so it was planned for an extremely experienced anaesthetist to attempt an epidural when the time came. At around 27 weeks I had a consultant appointment and was disappointed not to see the consultant who had been taking care of me up to that point. I had my bp checked by a nurse who thought it was high, and told me that the consultant would check it again and that there was a trace of protein in my urine. The consultant I saw wasn't bothered and sent me home. (I got the feeling she thought I was a 1st time mum over reacting)
A few days later I had a checkup with my gp, who sent me straight to hospital and said "take an overnight bag, you will be going for some rest".
When I got there, I was immediately put on a monitor and had bp checked, urine checked. Then I was told I couldn't move from the bed and given a steroid injection "just in case". Finally a consultant (the nice one) came and said I had severe pre-eclampsia with +4 protein in my urine, an extremely high BP, and was lucky I hadn't had a stroke yet. My baby's heart rate kept dropping and I was given another injection. It was then decided that she had to be born. I was devastated, at 27+4 weeks I had no clue as to how she would survive. We were taken to theatre for a c-section and couldn't get the epidural to be effective with my back problem so I was put under a general anaesthetic. When I woke up I was in the postnatal ward with all the mums and babies and it broke my heart. I was given 2 photo's of my daughter but all I could see was tubes and wires. I was told she weighed 1lb 13oz and was in a critical condition. I didn't get to see her for nearly 2 days as I was still sick. I didn't even feel like she was mine. After several days I was moved to a private room where I could start to recover a little better. After some time I discharged myself knowing my BP would go down if I was out of there, and I could sit with my daughter when I wanted. She did pull through and after a rollercoaster 11 weeks she came home weighing 4lb 8oz.
Since then I had become pregnant again (unplanned) and suffered a missed miscarriage. That was in January this year and now in my heart I know I want to have another child but am so scared of history repeating itself. I don't know how to prepare for it or what to ask for when I see my gp.
Thanks for reading this.
Claire
Back to top Go down
Caroline
Forum Friend
Caroline

My Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Story   My Story EmptyTue 05 Aug 2008, 10:51 am

Hi Claire and welcome to the site

Like you I suffered severe pre-eclampsia in my first pregnancy and our baby son Max was born at 27 +6 but sadly he didn't survive.

I too was terrified of trying again - of putting another baby through that and even the fear of whether I'd survive. But 11 weeks ago today I gave birth to Max's little sister at 37 weeks exactly after I showed very very mild symptoms of pre-eclampsia again.

The care I received this time was completely different. It's not that the care I got first time round was bad - more that as they have no way of knowing who is at risk they have to treat all first time mums exactly the same. But having identified that I was high risk the care was totally different, including taking aspirin from 6 weeks, more midwife and consultant appointments, weekly monitoring at the hospital and growth scans every 4 weeks.

I'm sorry to hear about your missed miscarriage and wish you lots of success with trying again.

Love Caroline x
Back to top Go down
ingrid
Forum Friend
ingrid

My Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Story   My Story EmptyWed 06 Aug 2008, 10:24 am

Hi Clare

Welcome to the site your story is so like many others that have come to this site and it is good that we can "talk" through all the experiences.

I am sorry about your miscarriage and I hope that your next planned pregnancy will go right to term totally PE free .

I hope reading other members stories on this site will give you hope and encouragement into your next pregnancy and I am sure you will be looked after alot more and closely monitered.

Do keep us posted
take care

Ingridxx
Back to top Go down
HayleyP80
Forum Friend

My Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Story   My Story EmptyThu 07 Aug 2008, 9:17 pm

Hi Claire,

And welcome!

Thankyou for posting your experience, I'm sure you will find support here.

We lost our first little boy to PE then went on to have an ectopic pregnancy. Like you we were totally terrified of trying again but did so which resulted in our little Oliver. I'm now pregnant again and can say the care we have received has been amazing. Can you go back to your original consultant and discuss any possible future care plan they may put in place for you? We did and it gave us some peace of mind over trying again.

Wishing you all the very best.

Love
Hayley xx
Back to top Go down
cherrybird1978
Forum Friend

My Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Story   My Story EmptyFri 08 Aug 2008, 8:05 pm

Thank you all for reading and for your comments. After many discussions between my husband and I, we have decided that we really want to try for another baby. I have booked a gp's appointment although I'm not really sure what I should be asking for help wise, I am definately going to ask to see my original consultant. I'm sure I will have to write questions and things down before going as i'm sure i'll be so worried about the whole thing that i'll forget what i'm going for. I can't get an appointment until 4th september so if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. This time I am determined to know all I can about PE, HELLP so I can be as prepared as possible. Lets hope we get a positive long pe free pregnancy. affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Story   My Story Empty

Back to top Go down

My Story
Page 1 of 1