Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

thinking about a second child

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
StaceyM
New User

thinking about a second child Empty
PostSubject: thinking about a second child   thinking about a second child EmptySat 23 Aug 2008, 8:06 pm

I've recently started to get a bit broody again but I'm a bit unwilling to have another as I had pe and my son had iugr. I had a pretty stressful pregnancy because of it and my son was born early and is still quite behind his peers. I know that they say that you are more likely to have pe in a 1st preg but I had a termination many years ago. Would the termination be classed as a 1st preg or not? I'm just trying to work out the odds of it happening again. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Laurie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a second child   thinking about a second child EmptyMon 25 Aug 2008, 8:18 pm

Hi Stacey
I think everyone on this board will know something of how you feel - many of us have faced that next pregnancy with longing and dread in about equal amounts.

I am not certain whether your terminated pregnancy would count as a first pregnancy in terms of your odds of developing PE again. I had a miscarriage before my first "real" pregnancy, which resulted in PE and a pre-term, severely IUGR baby (who is now approaching his 16th birthday and gorgeous 5'7"). My consultant gave me odds of 1 in 3 of having it again, which I accepted as good enough to make it worth trying! I had another early miscarriage, then, but now I also have a lovely 8 yr old boy, born at 40wks + 17 days. Really.

You can always ask, through your GP, to see a consultant to discuss another pregnancy. S/he may want to do blood tests, and should be willing to talk through what kind of care you can be offered. Obviously, women get varied receptions, but if you are not happy with what you hear, you can investigate what sorts of options you have in terms of alternative consultants or even alternative hospitals.

The main thing is, if you do decide to go ahead, you are forewarned and so everyone involved in your care - as well as you and your family - can be forearmed. Nothing is certain - women do get PE in second pregnancies, sometimes for the first time; PE can skip pregnancies, too. But by far the most frequent occurrence is that PE does not happen again - if it does, it most often happens later (generally by about two weeks) than in the first pregnancy.

The other thing to remember is that if you want to stay in touch, we on this forum will be with you every step of the way.

Hope you stay in touch
Laurie
Back to top Go down
Bell
Forum Friend
Bell

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a second child   thinking about a second child EmptyTue 26 Aug 2008, 12:16 pm

I don't know the answer to your question but would urge you to go and see your consultant and get a birth plan in place.

I am at the stage that after having severe PE in a 1st pregnancy two years ago and my baby being still born that I am considering having another baby. I am really anxious about it. After seeing my conslutant for a birth plan I do feel alot calmer and know i will be very closely monitored.

Hope all works out well for you.

Bell.
Back to top Go down
StaceyM
New User

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a second child   thinking about a second child EmptySat 30 Aug 2008, 9:18 am

Thank you for your responses. I received excellant care at the hospital I was at and have been advised to go with that city hospital if I decide to have another child. Obviously because they have my notes and because they have the best NICU where I live. Although I was told by my consultant to wait two years so I still have a while to go yet. I think the main thing then is to be prepared. The consultant told me that the next time I get pregnant, he wants to put me on aspirin - has anyone found this has helped at all?

Laurie - that's lovely to hear about your son. Everyone I meet comments on how dinky my son is. While all other babies his age almost look like toddlers, he's still very much a baby. He's caught up brilliantly with his weight but I was worried he was going to turn out to be a wee shortie!!

Mad - despite all the trouble and worry I loved being pregnant.
Back to top Go down
Laurie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a second child   thinking about a second child EmptySat 30 Aug 2008, 10:05 am

Hi Stacey
There are a few other threads about aspirin - I can't comment from a personal point of view because I wasn't put on it. have a look around!

Just another word about wee babies - Joe didn't grow *at all* between the ages of two and a half and four (I know, because I didn't buy any new clothes for him until he was just about going to school, and I couldn't get a uniform small enough for him!!), and he spent most of his primary school days at least a head shorter than everyone else in his class, including the girls. He hated it - especially when people would ask him when he was starting school, and he'd say he was already in Year 2. I got some funny looks!!

He did have ongoing health issues post-PE: 35 weeks is apparently a bad time for lungs as the surfactant is forming - they told me 34 weeks or 36 weeks would have been better - guess I couldn't oblige. But he probably would have ended up with asthma anyway. We know the medication he started at two (oral salbutamol rather than nebulisers) has been shown to inhibit growth hormone short term - he did grow again when he started having inhalers rather than syrup. He never got bullied badly, though he was still barely 130 cm when he was 10. I think that has something to do with survivor mentality - something he acquired in utero. But just before he started at secondary school - and coincidentally was far less reliant on inhalers - he began to grow very fast. He hasn't stopped yet!!

Enjoy your little one - I actually felt sorry for mums with those great big lumps to carry around. I have to say, I carried Joe until I got pregnant again - when he was 7. But that was by choice, and when it was expedient. When I had a "normal" baby it gave me a bad back!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: thinking about a second child   thinking about a second child Empty

Back to top Go down

thinking about a second child
Page 1 of 1