Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

weight

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nic
Forum Friend

weight Empty
PostSubject: weight   weight EmptySun 09 Nov 2008, 9:06 pm

Hi all,
We have a little girl who is now 15 months old but was born at 36 weeks due to PE and weighed 4lb 9 ozs. She had a rocky first year with her weight - she plateaued and then put on and then plateaued etc. She is a healthy eater but is still very small for her age (0.4 percentile). We keep being reassured that she is fine and she certainly has lots of energy. Sometimes I worry and sometimes I don't. Has anyone else had similiar experiences?
Nicki
Back to top Go down
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight   weight EmptySun 09 Nov 2008, 10:22 pm

Hi Nicki,

Welcome to the site.

My little boy was 4lb 10ozs when he was born, which for 33 weeks was smack bang on 50th centile, but he's been around the 9th for weight and length/height ever since. He's 3 now and has just gone into 12-18 month trousers!

I would try not to worry too much, if your little girl is healthy and has lots of energy, then she may just be small, or she may well catch up as she gets older. My friend has a little girl who was full term, weighed about 8lbs 6ozs at birth and she's a tiny wee dot now, very strong, full of beans, but just a bit little.

As long as the health visitor/doctor isn't concerned, and she's healthy, I'd try not to worry. I know it's easier said than done though!

Take care

Nicki
Back to top Go down
Laurie
Admin

weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight   weight EmptySun 09 Nov 2008, 10:41 pm

Hi Nicki
Welcome!
My son Joe was born 4lb 11oz at 35 weeks (<2nd centile), 20th for height, and >98th head circumference due to the "brain-sparing effect". He actually got to around the 30% centile for weight by the time he was six months old, but then got chickenpox very badly and bronchialitis (again) when he was just turned 1 year so went back down to the 5th alarmingly quickly. He didn't grow at all between 2 and 4, and when he was 11 years old he was still only around 4 and a half ft tall, if that.

He hasn't stopped growing since he turned 12 and is now 5 ft 7 in - he turns sixteen in around 4 weeks.

Nicki D is right, you know. As long as she has plenty of energy and is in general good health, there really isn't any need to worry. Babies and children (and adults!) come in all different sizes. You will also come to realise that there are times when they look as if they can't possibly survive let alone grow on the amount they eat (and you wonder if they are squirreling away when you're not looking). But they do grow, honest.
cheers
Laurie
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight   weight EmptyMon 10 Nov 2008, 9:40 am

Hi Nic,

Welcome to the site!

I would just like to concur with the ladies really, my daughter born at 26 weeks was 1lb 10oz at birth. She followed the 0.4th centile (when she actually reached one as she created her own centile for many years) until she was about 6.
She is still really tiny now at 11years old and weighs 3 1/2 stones. She is petite in stature at only 135cms.
To be honest I gave up looking at her weight. All the health professionals were making me feel such a failure as a mum as she was recorded 'failure to thrive'. But you know what - she met all her milestones, she is happy in who she is, she doesnt get knocked so easily by infection anymore and she is still growing. Just in her own sweet style!

As long as your child is generally happy, healthy & 'growing' in the sense of being in proportion dont get too hung up on 'text book' stuff - you will be grey before you know it!

Warm wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Nic
Forum Friend

weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight   weight EmptyTue 11 Nov 2008, 9:09 pm

Thanks ladies. I suppose it is good just to hear what other people have gone though/going through. It is easier not to worry now she has got to 1 and you are right she may be just small.

Nicki

------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

weight Empty
PostSubject: Re: weight   weight Empty

Back to top Go down

weight
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Support :: Just Chat-
Jump to: