Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

my story

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nic
Forum Friend

my story Empty
PostSubject: my story   my story EmptyThu 12 Feb 2009, 8:45 pm

I have found this website very useful and have finally got around to posting my story as we are thinking about a second child. Caitlin was born at 36+3 weeks due to PE. I was admitted to hospital after t he 3rd trip to the assessment unit and was in for 3 weeks prior to birth. During the 3 trips to the assessment unit I only showed one symptom at a time which settled while I was there. My BP would go up slightly but no protein and setlled when I got to the hospital and then on 2nd admission I had protein but bp fine and then this settled when I got to the hospital. During the 3rd visit they admitted me due to protein. For a week my protein was +4 but my bp was fine. Then it suddenly went up but I was stabilized on labetelol for 2 weeks. Caitlin was born by c-section as she became distressed immediately after being induced. She was 4lb 9 oz and has remained on the 4th percentile every since for weight. It is felt that she was always meant to be small as my placental function was reasonable. It took me 6 weeks to be weaned off labetelol but now my bp is fine.
Recently we had an appointment with my Consultant to discuss a 2nd child. She was very positive and warm. The worst comment was about my future health and the liklihood of high BP in the near future. Apart from that she said she would see me as often as I needed and would help me when ever possible throughout pregnancy. She is to prescribe aspirin and although I am slightly nervous about that I'm sure she has done her research. She felt I was in the low end of the high risk group for developing PE again. I am very scared about another pregnancy and keep asking myself about the risks of it all. As my Consultant said the benefits of another child outweigh the risks. We were so lucky with Caitlin I just hope we can be just as lucky with another child.
Thanks for reading and hopefully I will be back in the future with lots of good news about a wonderful pregnancy, well apart from the morning sickness!!!!
Nicki
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

my story Empty
PostSubject: Re: my story   my story EmptyFri 13 Feb 2009, 12:36 pm

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your writing your story, it takes so much courage to sit and write it all.
It also takes a huge amount of courage to plan for another child when you have already been through a trauma like PE.
I thought it might be worth adding to what they have told you in that PE is very unlikely to occur earlier for you as Caitlyn was born at 36+ weeks. If it is going to happen again it is likely to be at the same time of up to 2 weeks later and generally speaking is less severe. Mainly because you know what pregnancy is not supposed to feel like & that you will be so aware - nothing will escape being scrutinised.
As for the aspirin, the research shows that for mums who deliver before 35 weeks low dose aspirin is a good idea. But as you say, you were on the tail end when PE rose its head for you. The aspirin wont do any harm and if really necessary its effects can be reversed.
There is still the dilemma of calcium supplements too - again research shows that for most women of the 'western world' we get enough dietary calcium but if you know your intake is lower, then maybe thats an option for you too.

I hope this helps allay some of your worries & that we will hear happy news from you in the not too distant future.
Warm Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Donna
Admin

my story Empty
PostSubject: Re: my story   my story EmptyWed 18 Feb 2009, 11:09 am

Hi Nicki,

welcome to the site. Thank you for writing your story, as Liz says it takes a lot of courage to write about it but it's by sharing our stories that we can help other women who may be going through PE now.

Your story sounds quite similar to my own and my big dilemma after the birth of my son was whether or not to try for a second baby. At the time the doctors weren't particularly helpful and could only give vague opinons as to how likely I was to suffer with PE a second time. For a long while I felt that I just didn't want to take the risk but very gradually my desire to have another baby became greater than my fear of going through another pregnancy.

I can't pretend it was easy because as every woman on here who has embarked on another pregnancy post PE will tell you, you live under the shadow of getting it again and every headache or twinge sets alarm bells ringing. Having said that though, to be forewarned is to be forearmed and you certainly become much more aware of what is happening to you and your baby and I found that the consultant and the hospital were very good during my second pregnancy. I could go and see them whenever I wanted and they arranged very frequent monitoring so that if I did develop PE it would be detected as soon as possible.

Your consultant sounds very supportive which is important. I wish you all the very best and be sure to keep in touch.

Best wishes

Donna
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

my story Empty
PostSubject: Re: my story   my story Empty

Back to top Go down

my story
Page 1 of 1