Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Folic Acid

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bell
Forum Friend
Bell

Folic Acid Empty
PostSubject: Folic Acid   Folic Acid EmptyFri 30 Oct 2009, 8:47 pm

When is the best time to start taking folic acid? and for how long is it recommended to be taken in the pregnancy for someone who has had severe pre eclampsia before?
Back to top Go down
jules
Forum Friend
jules

Folic Acid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folic Acid   Folic Acid EmptySun 01 Nov 2009, 7:24 pm

I am pretty sure the answer is 3 months before conception [not that you can ever quite guarantee when you might conceive, of course]. I was just advised to take the standard dose for this length of time, no different to advice given to any woman planning pregnancy, whether or not they have had severe PE before. You should probably check with your consultant though, as I have no thrombophilia or anything else which might alter that advice.

Best wishes

Jules
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Folic Acid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folic Acid   Folic Acid EmptySun 01 Nov 2009, 8:12 pm

Hi Bell,

Jules is right, ideally 3 months prior to conception...if you can predict when that is going to be! This is because the babys spinal cord is developing at its fastest rate between 0-28 days of conception so for many women they dont even know they are pregnant yet! The development continues until about 12 weeks of pregnancy so continue with the folic acid at least until then.

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Bell
Forum Friend
Bell

Folic Acid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folic Acid   Folic Acid EmptySun 01 Nov 2009, 9:38 pm

Thanks Liz & Jules. Thats cleared that up for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Folic Acid Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folic Acid   Folic Acid Empty

Back to top Go down

Folic Acid
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: