Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calcium & Vit C

Go down 
+4
Liz Pidgley
jules
emmie
Bell
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bell
Forum Friend
Bell

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptyMon 21 Dec 2009, 9:17 pm

Hi!

I was just wondering if there is any benefit from taking a calcium suppliment and Vit C during pregnancy? Has anyone taken any of these during pregnancy and did you feel they helped?

Also is it safe to take them?

Thanks

Bell.
Back to top Go down
emmie
Forum Friend
emmie

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptyTue 22 Dec 2009, 10:31 am

Hi Bell

I'm sure I've read that there are added benefits to taking Calcium vitamins, but I think there are conflicting views on Vitamin C. I'm also interested in ehat benefits/drawbacks people have experienced.

Emma
x
Back to top Go down
Bell
Forum Friend
Bell

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptyTue 22 Dec 2009, 7:43 pm

I'm sure i read somewhere that woman that take calcium are likely to have lower blood pressure during pregnancy.
Back to top Go down
jules
Forum Friend
jules

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 9:55 am

Hi bell,

I wouldn't take Vitamin C because one study not only found no benefit, but found that those woment taking Vit C actually got sicker faster with PE!

Some experts have suggested calcium to me, studies found some benefits from calcium supplements but only in developing countries, where diets were low in calcium, and not in Western settings. But there didn't seem to be any adverse effects from taking calcium, so you could try it, I guess.

Jules x
Back to top Go down
Bell
Forum Friend
Bell

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptyTue 05 Jan 2010, 9:28 pm

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the information. I read that taking vit C isn't good for unborn babies so probably best if i stop taking it. There is a possibility it can cause scurvy.

I have seen alot of info saying that calcium can help to reduce BP and since i still am on betablockers i want to do anything that will control it.

Anything that helps to have a PE free pregnancy is good.

Liz do you have any input into either of these please?

Thanks

Bell.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptyFri 08 Jan 2010, 3:25 pm

Hi ladies,

The studies that involved taking Vit C (The VIP trial) were ones where the dose was very high (1000mg which is equivalent to 22 oranges per day) & Vitimin E (400 IU..or 117 avocados per day!) The trial studied 2410 women.

The women took the tablet from week 14 & 22 of their pregancies until delivery.
The results showed negligible difference in women who went on to develop PE & those who didnt.
The results of this trial went on to show that women who took high dose Vit against the placebo generally speaking needed delivery a few days earlier & that the Mums needed more treatment if delivered before 34 weeks. It also showed that the babies had lower birth weight by on average 60grams.

This doesnt seem alot unless your baby is very prem when 60grams makes all the difference.

This study did not include 'multi vits' tablets designed to 'top up' our ditary intake.
This study showed that women,perhaps from other countries whose dietary intake was negligable may still benefit.

I hope this helps!
Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Bell
Forum Friend
Bell

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptySat 09 Jan 2010, 10:17 pm

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your reply. Yes it does help. I've decided not to take Vit C or calcium tablets but just to try and get what i will need in a healthy diet ( if and when i manage to get pregnant again).

Thanks Bell.xx
Back to top Go down
Mossy
Forum Friend
Mossy

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptySun 10 Jan 2010, 8:07 am

I have found this thread rather interesting. I remember taking vitamin C in my last pregnancy if I had a cold or felt one coming on and never knew about this link. I have PE and delivered at 31 weeks. Will be staying well clear of it this pregnancy.
Back to top Go down
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptySun 10 Jan 2010, 9:05 am

Hi,
I have read about calcium supplements as well...do you think there is any truth in this article Liz? http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/besttreatments/preeclampsia-treatments-calcium-supplements-for-preventing-preeclampsia
Thanks,
Lizzie
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptySun 10 Jan 2010, 5:22 pm

Hi Lizzie,

I think the article above has a very positive spin on what has actually been said. I know one of the authors of this report so tracked her down!

She has amended her conclusion in the Cochrane Report to include a 'plain language conclusion' which I have copy & paste below.

Calcium supplementation during pregnancy for preventing hypertensive disorders and related problems
Calcium supplements help prevent pre-eclampsia, lowers the risk of the woman dying or having serious problems.

Pre-eclampsia is a major cause of death in pregnant women and newborn babies worldwide. Preterm birth (birth before 37 weeks) is often caused by high blood pressure and is the leading cause of newborn deaths, particularly in low-income countries. The review of trials found that calcium supplementation during pregnancy is a safe and relatively cheap means of reducing the risk of pre-eclampsia in women at increased risk, and women from communities with low dietary calcium. Women were also less likely to die or have serious problems due to pre-eclampsia. No adverse effects have been found but further research is needed into the ideal dosage for supplementation.http://mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD001059/frame.html

Essentially this report was the result of a meta analysis of 12 other studies.
Which says that yes - calcium helps - you can get it through your diet or supplementation if low dietary intake is noteable.

Hope this helps!
Liz
Back to top Go down
Nicki D
Forum Friend
Nicki D

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptySun 10 Jan 2010, 6:05 pm

It's very interesting that calcium seems to be related - I have a really low calcium diet - I never drink milk, I hate cheese, and when I was pregnant I used to try to force myself to eat yoghurt every day, then my midwife told me to take calcium supplements. If I remember rightly, I started taking them at about 28 weeks, which was when my BP started to misbehave! Maybe if I'd started taking them sooner, I could have avoided the HELLP - who knows?

Nicki
Back to top Go down
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptySun 10 Jan 2010, 6:18 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly. It seems to me that its worth taking...it doesn't appear to have any adverse effects. I'm willing to try anything that might help.
Lizzie
Back to top Go down
Lesley
Forum Friend
Lesley

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptySun 10 Jan 2010, 7:00 pm

Anyone with asthma and on inhalers need to be aware that inhalers prevent you from absorbing calcium efficiently so it is probably even more important to take suppliments even if your diet is calcium rich.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C EmptySun 10 Jan 2010, 9:15 pm

This is generally the effects of cortico-steroidal inhalers.

In ths type of drug there is a definative risk factor, but in inhalers because they are area specific, they dont have too much of an effect except in very high doses.

If you are concerned talk to you local pharmacist & ask for a medicines review. They are free but can be really informative. Alternatively you can ask your GP, practice nurse or midwife for a simple blood test to monitor your levels.
Its safer to do this than over medicate & go the other way!

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Calcium & Vit C Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calcium & Vit C   Calcium & Vit C Empty

Back to top Go down

Calcium & Vit C
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: