Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Really distresses can anyone help?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chelle
Forum Friend

Really distresses can anyone help? Empty
PostSubject: Really distresses can anyone help?   Really distresses can anyone help? EmptyWed 03 Mar 2010, 9:11 pm

I am 13+4 days and went to have my bp taken today. The nurse said that My bp was 160/90 so went to get the g.p. He tested my reflexes in my arms and legs and said reflexes in one or other (think it was arms) was floppy??? and so he thought I may have P.E!! I asked was it not impossible to have it this early and he said that you could develop it at anytime. Is this true? Everything I have read says you can't have it before 20 weeks. He has given me medication to take until friday when they will check me again. Last time I was on the meds (labetalol sp) I am sure I only took 1 a day where this is two. Also is 160/90 really high enough to cause all this worry? I can't think straight and feel so distressed as I know if hes right this is the beginning of the end for the baby. I do need to know though as I am just torturing myself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.totsites.com/tot/babybailey
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Really distresses can anyone help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Really distresses can anyone help?   Really distresses can anyone help? EmptyThu 04 Mar 2010, 12:06 pm

Oh Chelle, I am so sorry to hear you are worried.

Let me try & reassure you a bit here.
It is impossible to clinically diagnose PE prior to 20 weeks due to the development of the placenta, however, a placenta can start failing much earlier to produce symptoms. Having said that at 13+4 is is incredibly unlikely to be PE brewing.

It is more likely that you are so anxious that what you experienced was a bit of 'white coat' effect. The minute you go near anyone with a BP machine it goes up!

If the 160/90 really was a true reflection of your BP then it does indicate that you will be more likely to get PE again in this pregnancy but it is not a guarantee that it will, just more likely.

The labetalol can come in different preparations so it may have been a previously higher dose in one tablet as opposed to 2 lower doses over 2 tablets this time. Being a beta blocker, labetalol can also help with anxiety too, so if your high reading was anxiety based, it should help to manage that too. (Beta blockers can also cause low mood so do be aware that if you are feeling depressed it might actually be the tablets causing you to feel that way.)

Listen to your body, if you are worried knock on a GPs door until they listen & hear you...meantime why not ask your GP for some protein dipsticks (or get some from a chemist) if it helps to reassure you inbetween visits.

I hope this helps.
Warm Wishes

Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com

Really distresses can anyone help?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: