Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

dipsticks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sparkling
Forum Friend

dipsticks Empty
PostSubject: dipsticks   dipsticks EmptyThu 25 Mar 2010, 4:35 pm

I've been sent home with some to test my own urine for protein rather than going in every day.

SO today i've dipped twice because I can't decide if there's a trace or a + of protein. It's definitely more green than yellow but the colour chart isn't helping.

UNfortunately there isn't anyone at home to give me a second opinion.

SO I'm worried anyway and now I'm worrying more because I can't decide on a colour chart.

There's too much worrying to do.

I'm off for a scan, bloods, BP, consultant app tomorrow morning so it's not long til I see a pro.

If it's not one thing it's another.
Back to top Go down
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

dipsticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: dipsticks   dipsticks EmptyThu 25 Mar 2010, 5:09 pm

Sorry to hear about all your worries...good luck for tmrw. Will have everything crossed, please let us know how you get on.
Lizzie
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

dipsticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: dipsticks   dipsticks EmptyThu 25 Mar 2010, 8:13 pm

Hi Sparkling,

This is one of the annoying little traits of dipstix!
That and the fact it can be difficult to assess

A couple of things to check, are the dipstix in date and following the timings stated on the tube before reading, have they been left open or any possibility that cross contamination could occur and is it a fresh (clean catch) sample of urine you are testing? If the stix have been open for some time they can begin to change colours just in the air!

If these can all be ruled out it would be worth checking with your day unit to test your urine for a PCR. This means Protein Creatinine Ratio and is a good bench mark for what might be going on...or not as the case maybe. Dipstix can be misleading as one can never be sure if the +1 is nearer the 'trace' or the +2 the measuring guidelines...and the PCR will clarify this very easily.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
sparkling
Forum Friend

dipsticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: dipsticks   dipsticks EmptyThu 25 Mar 2010, 10:03 pm

thanks Liz

I will question the consultant tomorrow.

dipsticks in date and were brand new in box complete with scare yourself silly diagnostic leaflet. Mr S has provided a 2nd opinion this evening and is unsure between the trace and the + but isn't 100% convinced.

I'm going to ask to see the dipstick after they've given me the result tomorrow to get a good idea of what is happening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

dipsticks Empty
PostSubject: Re: dipsticks   dipsticks Empty

Back to top Go down

dipsticks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Support :: My Worries-
Jump to: