Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Family connections?!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
emmie
Forum Friend
emmie

Family connections?! Empty
PostSubject: Family connections?!   Family connections?! EmptyFri 26 Mar 2010, 5:06 pm

Recently I have just found out that my grandmother had PE with her first child (my mother) and I know that my mother had mild, late onset PE with her first child (me). We also strongly suspect that my great grandmother had PE although we don't know for certain. However, neither my grandmother or my mother had PE with their second pregnancies.

My Consultant thinks this is a VERY positive thing, and is even more certain now of a positive outcome.

Does anyone know if this sounds right? Could it be that PE just happens in first pregnancies in my family? I would be interested to hear if PE runs in other people's families and follows a similar pattern. Liz, I'd also be interested to hear your views.

Thankyou
Emma
Back to top Go down
jules
Forum Friend
jules

PostSubject: Re: Family connections?!   Family connections?! EmptyMon 29 Mar 2010, 8:50 am

A cousin of my Dad's had PE in her first pregnancy in the 1960s. It was not that early onset, maybe about a month early, but sadly the baby died (stillborn I think). She had three early miscarriages after that, and then adopted. She had kidney disease and hypertension, and might have gone on trying but for her health problems, and the trauma of 4 pregnancy losses in a short space of time.

My husband's mother was born a month early herself (induced), we think due to PE. That was his grandmother's fifth and last pregnancy, although obviously by then she was getting older (38). They were a catholic family, but may have taken precautions after that problem.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I think the statistics still suggest that for most women PE is at its most severe in a first pregnancy.
Back to top Go down
emmie
Forum Friend
emmie

PostSubject: Re: Family connections?!   Family connections?! EmptyMon 29 Mar 2010, 5:34 pm

Thanks for replying Jules.

I think, just like the rest of us, I'm just trying to find some kind of explanation. I'm just hoping I follow the family trend, even though I know that means I will probably get gestational diabetes, but if I don't get PE I don't care.

Considering I'm young, fit, exercise and eat healthily, I just can't believe I get all these problems!! Rant over Embarassed

Emma
Back to top Go down
jules
Forum Friend
jules

PostSubject: Re: Family connections?!   Family connections?! EmptyMon 29 Mar 2010, 7:08 pm

Yes, I know, its incredibly unfair. Basically, you can do everything "right" and still lose. I kind of think its genetic predisposition
(myself and DH being predisposed as a couple), but who knows really?

Best wishes x
Back to top Go down
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Family connections?!   Family connections?! EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 7:48 am

i've wondered this but there doesn't seem to be any family history at all of PE or problem pregnancies in my family at all.

My mum doesn't understand why i had problems with Eleanor and I'm being so closely monitored this time.

However things are going much better this time and I have not as yet developed full on PE. Have had a few close calls but so far so good and I'm 34+3 today.

All the best I hope there is some truth in this pattern.
Back to top Go down
emmie
Forum Friend
emmie

PostSubject: Re: Family connections?!   Family connections?! EmptyTue 30 Mar 2010, 6:03 pm

Thankyou Sparkling, I can only hope the pattern follows when I next get pregnant.

Well done on reaching 34+ weeks! That's amazing and I hope I follow a similar pattern to you!

Take care x
Back to top Go down
becky83
Forum Friend
becky83

PostSubject: Re: Family connections?!   Family connections?! EmptyWed 31 Mar 2010, 8:16 pm

my mum had PE with me, i was a 36weeker and had it with Alex, a 28weeker x x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Family connections?!   Family connections?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Family connections?!
Page 1 of 1