Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Uterine artery doppler

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mossy
Forum Friend
Mossy

Uterine artery doppler Empty
PostSubject: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 6:56 pm

So I had my scan yesterday at 22+6. Baby appears to be growing well and I was happy with that. I then went on the have a doppler scan done. Although I was sure they'd say everything was fine as this has been a hassle free pregnancy it appears not! Although I am not clear on what is happening it already appears there is low blood flow from me to the baby.

Due to an appointment mess up I am not seeing the consultant until Thursday. The sonographer said the doppler scan is normally done the same day as the clinic appointment to stop you from worrying! So guess what I am doing....worrying!

I really hoped things would be different this time! Especially as I have had such a different pregnancy! I know I need to wait until I see the Dr on Thursday to see what will happen.

So anyone have any experience of this or words of widom?
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 10:36 pm

Hi Mossy,

Im sorry to hear you are wooried about your scans and I suspect it would be futile to say not to woor!
Scans are very subjective and really does depend on the skill of the person interpreting them. If on Thursday you do not feel confident in the opinion given, ask for another scan which would offer clearer views to interpret.

I hope that helps a little.
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
ClaireS
Forum Friend
ClaireS

PostSubject: Re: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler EmptyWed 19 May 2010, 8:37 pm

With my second pregnancy, I had my first doppler scan at 19 weeks and it showed notching and various other things that were off the various graphs. I had another doppler at 22 weeks which showed similar. I was very worried at the time. I then had further doppler at 24 weeks, which showed no notching and everything else was back within normal range - stll didn't stop me panicing! - I went on to have my daughter at 36 weeks PE free.

Hopefully this gives you some hope.

Claire x
Back to top Go down
nicki
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 6:53 pm

My consultant said that when I had the doppler if I had notching on the placenta it did not necessarily mean that I would get PE again as a certain percentage of the general population had notching but no PE. If there was no notching it increased my chancews of not getting PE. I'm not sure how useful the scan is. Any comments?
Nicki
Back to top Go down
ClaireS
Forum Friend
ClaireS

PostSubject: Re: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 8:31 am

With my second pregnancy I was told that the chances of getting PE again were 30%. When my scan showed notching my consultant told me that the notching had raised my chances of PE reoccurring to 50%. The consultant also said that she hoped that the fact that I had been taking aspirin from early on would mean that I could be in the 50% that didn't get it again.
In the end I was in the 50% that didn't get it again, but from my point of view the doppler scans just made me worry lots. Even when I had a third doppler with no notching, I then worried in case it was wrong!

Claire x
Back to top Go down
Mossy
Forum Friend
Mossy

PostSubject: Re: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 9:09 am

So I had my consultants appointment yesterday. She said I could get PE again but then again I may not! She has increased my aspirin dose to 150mg a day. I am having the scan done again at 28 weeks. She is hoping to get me to at least 34 weeks...if not further! She also said to try and increase oily fish in my diet and to take extra pregnancy vitamins with omega 3 in them. Oh and to drink at least a pint of milk a day (which I do anyway) Although she said diet might no make a difference she was talking about research that has been done in Sweeden about that and taking vitamins. So we'll see! She also wants me to stop working form 28 weeks! I am only part-time at the mometn and finish for the summer (am a teacher) when I am 29 weeks anyway.

Forgot to say in my original post that I am showing notching in my right artery but not left (yet!) I have no idea what the numbers mean from the scan!

So I am going to take each day as it comes!
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 10:55 am

Hi Mossy,

That sounds like a really positive meeting with your consultant. I hope it felt as positive as it reads!
The research being done in Sweden was a variation of the vitamins in pregnancy trial and of course the calcium supplementation trials. The new VIP trial is looking at women who specifically take vitamin D however this is currently underway and has not been concluded, published or peer reviewed. Dietary supplementation is safest!

Notching in one artery could have simply been baby was lying awkardly & unclear views given. Really, it sounds like so far so good....and long may it continue!

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Mossy
Forum Friend
Mossy

PostSubject: Re: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 3:35 pm

It was really positive in terms of her support and monitoring. I specifically chose her as my consultant at my local hospital as I had heard lots of good things about her and clearly remember her from the ward rounds when I was in having my DD. I am glad I have her now! Her face when she saw my doppler results was another thing Shocked but I do know I have the support of the hospital. There is nothing that can be done to stop whatever will happen!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uterine artery doppler   Uterine artery doppler Empty

Back to top Go down

Uterine artery doppler
Page 1 of 1