Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

blood pressure monitors

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nicki
Forum Friend

blood pressure monitors Empty
PostSubject: blood pressure monitors   blood pressure monitors EmptyWed 10 Nov 2010, 1:54 pm

Hi Liz,
Just wondering what your views were on the difference between electric and manual blood pressure monitors in doctors surgeries. Today I asked the GP to use a manual BP monitor instead of the usual electric monitor and there was 5 points difference between my dystolic pressure on the 2 machines. Electric being 87 and manual being 82. I am currently trying to come off my labetalol so these 2 readings make a huge difference to management. The midwives had always used manual and my readings since giving birth have always been 80 until I went to the GP and then went up to top 80s. Any comments?
thanks Nicki
Back to top Go down
Mossy
Forum Friend
Mossy

PostSubject: Re: blood pressure monitors   blood pressure monitors EmptyThu 11 Nov 2010, 11:46 pm

In my last pregnancy I had a few occasions where my BP had to be taken manually as the electronic one was giving me a very high reading. It was fine when it was done manually
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: blood pressure monitors   blood pressure monitors EmptyFri 12 Nov 2010, 1:55 pm

Hi Nicki,

This is a really good question and not a short answer Im afraid!

The gold standard in blood pressure measurement is a skilled practitioner using the old fashioned mercury sphygmomanometers however, because of the safety risks of mercury these are no longer used in practice.

The guidelines say that a skilled practitioner using a aneroid gauges are the next best thing but only when their calibration accuracy should be regularly checked based on the manufacturer’srecommendation or annually. There is evidence to show that these machines in surgeries are not calibrated as frequently as they should be and can sometimes through being dropped for example, lose their accuracy.
There is also very clear evidence for 'digit preference' among practitioners. For example, how many times have you been told your BP is 115 / 75?

There are no '5's on a monitor so the user has preferred to suggest the 5 rather than to the nearest 2mm mercury which is how the monitor is marked. This gets 'woolier' when a person comes close to a threshold for referral. It is often easier to say the diastolic is 88 because at 90 she needs to be referred to a DAU and of course vice versa.

The practitioner must also be able to clearly demonstrate the Korotkoff V sound. This is when the pulsation sounds disappear. If this cannot be heard then Korotkoff IV should be used.

Assuming the practitioner uses all the correct techniques this is the 'Silver standard'.

Of course digital monitors take away much of the 'human factor' and will give specific readings too - again the monitor has to be appropriate for use.

In pregnancy it should be the 3BTO as this is the only clinically validated monitor and the correct techniques used.
It is not good enough to record an unusual reading and simply get anther machine to check. It must always be followed up by a manual reading.

It is worth bearing in mind that some GPs will have their machines & monitors calibrated by their own Trusts medical physics dept.
(If you feel in devils advocate mood - it is fun to ask when they were last calibrated & watch the reaction of the practitioner!!!!)

In either method the correct size cuff is essential as failure to do this will give an inaccurate result.

Interestingly, research show that home monitoring is the most accurate when the person has an appropriate machine. A woman at home is much more likely to adhere to the correct technique as it is in her interest to do so.

If this is something you feel might be appropriate for you then the home monitoring guidelines recommend you should take your blood pressure ideally, twice a day initially but at the same time each day, perhaps twice in the morning & twice in the evening after you have rested for 1/2 hour or so, 30 min without smoking or caffeine sat down, back supported, arm resting on the table, correct cuff bladder placement on the arm, immobile, legs uncrossed, not talking and repeated readings at 2 min intervals.

Try to keep everything 'like for like' so use the same arm (ideally the left arm) and use the tips above.

Do this for 7-10 days. Discard the 1st days’ readings. The next set of readings should show a 'trend' that is more likely to be accurate.

Doing this Nicki, might give you a truer reflection of what your BP is really doing and whether you can reduce or come off the labetalol.

I hope this helps.....and if you've made it this far ...well done!!!!

Liz
Ps currently working on a medicines post...coming soon I promise!
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: blood pressure monitors   blood pressure monitors Empty

Back to top Go down

blood pressure monitors
Page 1 of 1