Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Aspirin...........??????????

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
littlejacksmum
Forum Friend

Aspirin...........?????????? Empty
PostSubject: Aspirin...........??????????   Aspirin...........?????????? EmptyTue 11 Jan 2011, 9:56 pm

Hi Liz (or anyone else in the know!)

I have posted in My Story re. finding out that I am pregnant again (had my son at 33 wks due to PE, nearly 2 years ago).

I thought I should post in this bit as well because this is more of an 'ask Liz' type thing.

Basically I went to the Docs tonight for swine flu jab and a chat due to past issues. I asked about aspirin and the Doc just smiled and said that there wasn't any evidence as far as he was concerned that it made a difference. I wasn't surprised because our surgery won't prescribe anything unless you are on death's door. I tried to tell him that I had done some research etc, and that it was something I thought I should be taking (I started with PE at 31wks last time). He was adamant that it wouldn't make a difference. He kept saying I would be Consultant led and heavily monitiored. How right/wrong is he? Should I push for it? Should I wait until I get referred to a Consultant after 8 weeks and then ask them? Normally I'm a very outspoken person who doesn't take things lying down but our Doctors have a way of making you smile and thank them for their time!! Oh, and BP was horrendous tonight too!

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Aspirin...........??????????   Aspirin...........?????????? EmptyWed 12 Jan 2011, 10:32 am

Hi Little Jacks Mum,

Many congratulations on your new pregnancy!

You are absolutley correct in your understanding of aspirin. Women who have onset or deliver prior to 35 weeks gestation do benefit from low dose aspirin. If your GP wont prescribe it - ask your midwife!
Failing that you could just tell your GP that is what you want to do as I suspect there might be an issue of prescribing cost here or sadly your GP maybe mis-informed.?
The CLASP trial shows that aspirin is beneficial as does
GP notebook & NICE.

GP guidance

NICE antenatal guidelines

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
littlejacksmum
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Aspirin...........??????????   Aspirin...........?????????? EmptyWed 12 Jan 2011, 12:15 pm

Thanks so much Liz, I knew you'd be fabulous!!

I have seen your other comments on my other post but for ease will reply to both on here.

I will print off the links you supplied and go back to my GP armed with this information!

As for blood pressure, I don't know what machine he used last night. Doc gave me one to use at home (this was is Omron 711 ???). I have done a couple of readings last night and throughout today, my lowest was 116/93 but my highest was 139/100. My intentions are to take another reading this afternoon and then go back to my surgery today with all of the info you supplied and see what the Doctor says.

I think it will just be best if they refer me straight to hospital and take it from there. Our surgery is notoriously useless at prescribing anything, I agree it's all down to cost on their part. Unfortunately for them I don't care about costs, I think a bit of extra treatment for a few months in my lifetime isn't too much to ask - for any mum to be!

Thanks again, you're a real help.

Carly.
Back to top Go down
lesleywhite
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Aspirin...........??????????   Aspirin...........?????????? EmptyTue 18 Jan 2011, 9:04 pm

hi there, how did you get on at the GP?

hopefully they've prescribed you aspirin?

if not, you can buy the 75mg dose over the counter (well, this is the dose my consultant suggested, I think it might be in the NICE guidelines too) - it's very cheap too

hope you're keeping well, let us know how your'e getting on
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aspirin...........??????????   Aspirin...........?????????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Aspirin...........??????????
Page 1 of 1