Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Labetalol

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Scoffs
Forum Friend

Labetalol Empty
PostSubject: Labetalol   Labetalol EmptyTue 22 Mar 2011, 2:13 pm

Hi Liz

How long does it take for it to work? I just wondered as I've been taking it for 5 days and my BP is unchanged. I was expecting a nice drop but nada so far.

Thanks for your help
S

Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Labetalol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labetalol   Labetalol EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 9:35 am

Hi Scoff!

Welcome to the site.
Labetalol can have some effect immediately but for most people it will take about 2 weeks to really 'load up' in to your system. Then it may be a case of tweaking the dose until the blood pressure is responding but without overloading you so that you feel grotty with side effects.

If you are pregnant or breast feeding there are only a few medicines which are safe & licensed to use so if your BP remains uncontrolled it might be worth thinking about lower doses of 2 medicines that very high doses of just one. There is very good evidence to show that this is most effective at controlling a persistant blood pressure but with least side effects.

I hope this helps but do let me know if I can offer you further information or support.

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Scoffs
Forum Friend

Labetalol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labetalol   Labetalol EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 10:00 am

Thanks Liz - that's very useful information. I saw my consultant yesterday and they have upped the does as my BP is still too high. Hopefully that will do the trick. I'm still taking a pretty low dose so hopefully I can keep it to a minimum and have controlled BP. The hospital do not seem concerned at all so I will follow their lead.

Thanks very much for the info Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Labetalol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labetalol   Labetalol Empty

Back to top Go down

Labetalol
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pre Eclampsia support :: Welcome to Pre Eclampsia Support Forum. :: Ask Liz. :: Ask Liz...-
Jump to: