Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pregnant again

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lesleywhite
Forum Friend

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Pregnant again   Pregnant again EmptyTue 26 Jul 2011, 8:41 pm

I've just found out I'm pregnant again - I am delighted as it's planned, we've been trying for 6 months & I'm 39 - so it's good news.

However I had severe, asymptomatic PE & HELLP in my last pregnancy, with my little boy being born at 29 weeks with severe IUGR; if I hadn't been picked up at a routine antenal appointment I am pretty sure neither of us would not be here today. Jamie spent 95 days in hospital & required 6 months home oxygen. He's now 2.5 and still small & has reflux, but is catching up slowly - he's a great wee boy, we're so lucky to have him.

Priot to trying for a pregnancy, I saw a consultant & had tests, plus put a care plan in place, so I'm confident about my pregnancy care.

I've started 75mg aspirin - but wondered about Calcium supplements? Any opinions welcome - thanks!

Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant again   Pregnant again EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 8:25 am

Hi Lesley,

Many congratulations on your new pregnancy.

There does seem to be a bit of a divided opinion about calcium supplementation. when the research was completed, it was generally felt that here in the UK, calcium might not be needed as a supplement due to receiving enough dietary calcium. This opinion seems to have changed over the past year or two in that it is being increasingly widely prescribed.

As long as bloods are monitored then there is no harm in taking a calcium supplement but it should be closely monitored by your care providers. Had you thought about a 'one a day' pregnancy multivitimin? That could also be of use.

I wish you a long and uneventful pregnancy and look forward to hearing all the pregnancy updates from everyone!

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
jules
Forum Friend
jules

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant again   Pregnant again EmptyWed 27 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

I took calcium supplements and high dose folic acid from 12 weeks (as well as LDA). My second pregnancy (also at 39) was fantastic and PE free. I kind of think it would have been alright whatever I had taken or not (different placenta and all that), but who can say for sure? Anyway, I don't think they did any harm and might have helped.

Good luck - and remember that pregnancies at older age can be straightforward even with a terrible previous history.
Back to top Go down
lesleywhite
Forum Friend

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant again   Pregnant again EmptyFri 29 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

thanks for the advice - much appreciated! I've bought some calcium supplments, am already taking a general pregnancy multi-vitamin & have a GP appt next week to have the pregnancy confirmed & be referred to the hospital. Then I go on holiday for the next 10 days Very Happy

will keep you posted on how things go - am hoping for a really dull pregnancy this time
Back to top Go down
lesleywhite
Forum Friend

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant again   Pregnant again EmptyTue 20 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Just to update you, since my last post I've unfortunately had a miscarriage, and it looks very likely it was a molar pregnancy - I should have confirmation any day now. It has huge implications for us, and it is a very real possibility that I will need chemotherapy, and that we may not be able to have any more children.

To say that I'm devastated would be an understatement. I always thought after the PE that lightning wouldn't strike twice.........but it has
Back to top Go down
*Carole*
Forum Friend
*Carole*

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant again   Pregnant again EmptyTue 20 Sep 2011, 1:37 pm

sorry to hear your news. I don't know anything about molar pregancies but it sounds very frightening. I hope that you don't need lots of treatment.
Back to top Go down
lesleywhite
Forum Friend

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant again   Pregnant again EmptyFri 30 Sep 2011, 7:36 pm

Just to say that I have had a complete molar pregnancy confirmed. The good news is that my first monitoring sample has come back negative, and I'm hoping it stays that way & I won't need chemotherapy. It's been a horrible time & has led me to question whether I just let go of the idea of a 2nd child - between the chances of PE & the 6-month all-clear from the molar pregnancy it might just be time to call it quits........
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant again   Pregnant again EmptyTue 04 Oct 2011, 8:14 pm

Hi Lesley,

I am so sorry to hear your news. I hope you will recover physically and emotionally and that the future will become more positive to you.

We are here if ever you need to talk things through.

Warmest wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
Sponsored content

Pregnant again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant again   Pregnant again Empty

Back to top Go down

Pregnant again
Page 1 of 1