Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chelle
Forum Friend

Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? Empty
PostSubject: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptySun 04 Jul 2010, 9:54 am

Hi everyone, Sorry it's me again.
Yesterday my hands and feet swelled up again. My hands especially. They just kept swelling and felt really tight. I couldnt bend them much at all. They were quite numb. My bp was ok and still only 1+of protein so I didn't go to the Dr or anything. After about 4 or 5 hours the swelling started to go down and my hands were just left sore. I can bend them but not fully. They said last time that this wasn't p.e so does any one hae any idea what it could be? I can't even drive. Also when the swelling went down my hands became very itchy. I have a bit of itching all over really.
Thanks for reading, again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.totsites.com/tot/babybailey
emmie
Forum Friend
emmie

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptyThu 08 Jul 2010, 3:14 pm

Hi Chelle,

Obviously not Liz, but I had a similar problem yesterday with swelling and itching. My doctor sent me to get blood tests because he said there is a rare condition in pregnancy that affects your liver and makes you itch. Apparently, it's easily treated.

It probably isn't this condition but I would let your doctors know anyway just in case it is someting important!

Take care
Emma
Back to top Go down
chelle
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptyThu 08 Jul 2010, 6:40 pm

Hi, Thanks for replying. I actually put it in the ask Liz bit by mistake.
The itching has eased up quite a lot now but I am still very swollen. My hands swell very badly and I can't move them then the swelling goes down a fair bit (I am still up by 4 ring sizes) and I am just left with really painful hands and no feeling in tips of fingers.If I try to drive or anything I just get really bad pins and needles My feet are also very swollen and I can only wear crocs. My protein went up to +2 the other night but came down again and stays between a trace and +1. My home bp monitor gives quite high readings at times but again seems to come down. Also as soon as you mention one of these to Dr they just dismiss it completely.The other thing I have that I've never had before is little black floaty things in my eyes sometimes. Now they always ask me about spots but this is very small, like dust or hairs iykwim? My. lower back is so sore and I'm running to toilet all the time with little output. Two urine tests have came back suggesting repeat (mixed flora or something?) and the one the hospital sent I've heard nothing about, they're supposed to phone you if there's a problem.
I suppose that no matter how many tests come back clear I just can't shake that feeling that it is P.E brewing. I don't want to appear neurotic but can't help how I feel.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptyThu 08 Jul 2010, 9:36 pm

Hi Chelle,

Sorry for thedelay in replying to you, its been manic here!

I fear your instinct may be right. To a certain extent swelling of the hands & feet is normal in pregnancy. However, the floaters you describe could also be down to a 'spike' in your BP.
Again in terms of urine, anything more than a +1 of protein is clinically significant & must be considered as an early warning sign (as this is the safest option - better to assume the worst & be proven wrong rather than complacent & miss something important) especially because of your history.

I suggest reporting this to your MW or to DAU. I suspect that you may need PE bloods being done regularly. If you get a +2 protein again request your GP does a PCR this is a good quick test that gives good assessments of whats going on.
The itching could well be due to a change in your blood chemistry.

I dont remember how many weeks you are but is it also woth discussing with your GP/ consultant about prophylactic steroids???

Wishing you all the best of luck & that this isnt PE creeping up again.

Best Wishes
Liz

Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
chelle
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptyThu 08 Jul 2010, 10:01 pm

Hi Liz, Thanks again.
I am 31 weeks pregnant which is more than I've ever been! A nice stage to reach, but hoping for more.
I had steroids for the baby's lungs at 26 weeks, The consultant said it was better to be safe. Bailey was delivered at 26 weeks so I suppose that probably played a big part in the decision making.
I have an appointment with the nurse tomorrow so at least will know what the bp is doing. I did make a Dr's appointment about my hands swelling but it is nearly two weeks away. Will mention it at my hospital appointment next Thursday though. It just seems that no one will listen to anything if my bp isn't up though.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptyThu 08 Jul 2010, 10:08 pm

Its good that you are seeing your nurse tomorrow Chelle, but dont be afraid of being insistant if you are still worried.

If you are really worried & feel no-one is listening you can always self reffer to a DAU.

Keep me posted & good luck tomorrow.

Liz
Back to top Go down
Wendles
Forum Friend
Wendles

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptyFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:26 am

Hi Chelle
Just wanted to say I hope everything is alright and like Liz suggests if you are worried go the to the day unit that's what they are there for and with your history they should fully understand your concerns.
Best wishes
Wendy
Back to top Go down
chelle
Forum Friend

PostSubject: A wee update   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptyFri 09 Jul 2010, 2:39 pm

I saw the nurse today and as my bp was so good she really had no interest in anything else. My bp was 136-86 and had between a trace and a plus 1 of protein. I was only able to give her a very small sample as there's just not a lot coming out. She said that I should leave in a sample when they reopen on Wed.
I don't want to go to DOU as the last night they told me that I shouldn't be sent to them with normal bp or until I had +3 of protein. I felt so silly. I guess I just have to wait til next Thursday when I have my hospital appointment.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? EmptyFri 09 Jul 2010, 10:42 pm

Hi Chelle,

Im glad to hear your BP & urine were unremarkable. Do you have urine dipsticks at home? If not it may be worth investing in some.
At least that way you can keep an eye on whats going on. If you get a +2 again please do refer yourself to DAU or contact your MW.
Dont feel at all silly if they send you home again - you will know you & baby are safe, and that is priceless.

Hang in there.
Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?   Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any ideas (yes it's me again) re swelling?
Page 1 of 1