Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bens_mummy
Forum Friend
Bens_mummy

Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE Empty
PostSubject: Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE   Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE EmptySun 15 Feb 2009, 8:12 pm

Hi Ladies,

I've just been talking to a friend of mine and she's convinced that by upping her protein intake whilst pregnant reduces the risk of PE? Has anyone else heard of this? I've seen 2 consultants so far during this pregnancy, none of which have mentioned increasing the amount of protein in my diet.

I'd just like some thoughts on this matter, if anybody has any?

Thanks!

Gemma x
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE   Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE EmptyMon 23 Feb 2009, 3:51 pm

Hi Gemma,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, Ive only just spotted the post (clearly still on holiday mode!)

A balanced diet is recommended.
However the high protein diet, also known as the Brewers diet, has never been clinically tested & therefore all 'evidence' is purely anecdotal.
In fact there is evidence to suggest that diets of 100mg or more of protein can infact be harmful, some even go as far as suggesting it can increase the risk of PE.

If in doubt ask your GP to refer you to a dietician to go through your diet & look to replace any deficiencies safely - if there are any!

Hope this helps.
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com

Eating more protein = reducing the risk of PE
Page 1 of 1