Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Please tell me if this is normal

Go down 
+4
Bell
Bea's Mummy
jules
chelle
8 posters
AuthorMessage
chelle
Forum Friend

Please tell me if this is normal Empty
PostSubject: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptyTue 03 Aug 2010, 8:38 am

Prob most of you will have read this before but I'll say briefly what's going on. I have got to 35 weeks, previous pregnancies were 26 and 30 weeks. I have severe Oedema so that when I raise my feet I get pains in my chest which they say is strain from so much fluid. My hands are so swollen (up 5 ring sizes) that the carpel tunnel (sp) whatever that is, is being compressed and so I have very little use of my hands and have to use splints. My face is swelling in the evenings. Over the last week I have had constant nausea. For 10 days now I have had bp of 98 to 107 with constant headache and floaters but only 1 plus of protein.
Anyway midwife came yesterday and bp was 150 over 110 so she sent me to hospital where I spent 7 hours. The bp series were all over 100 then when they admitted me they came round and done another which was something over 68. My husband said he didn't believe it so they got another machine which was something over 89. They said it was a similar reading and as my bp had settled they would discharge me.
The Dr said that they know they are taking chances, he said he has no worries as the bp wont affect my baby (my first son died after being born due to the placenta and cord being so badly damaged) He said his worry was me having a fit but it was about finding a balance. He said that although it was a bit of a gamble, if it paid off and we got the baby a bit further on then it will have been worth it. So there I am back home bp is 148 over 101. Am I neurotic? Please answer honestly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.totsites.com/tot/babybailey
jules
Forum Friend
jules

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptyTue 03 Aug 2010, 9:38 am

Honestly, if i was in your position at 35 weeks I would be asking to be delivered. Yes, the baby is still just very slightly premature, but PE only gets worse and your BP is already quite high, at least intermittently. Your past history should be taken into account here too, IMO.

Obviously, I am not an obstetrician though, and its only they who make the decision at the end of the day.

Best wishes
Back to top Go down
Bea's Mummy
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptyTue 03 Aug 2010, 6:50 pm

I agree with Jules...if I was in your situation I would request delivery. The baby will only need a little help at this point. 35 weeks is a great place to be! My consultant has already made it clear to me if I reach a reasonable gestation (34 wks ish) and there is a sign of PE he will deliver. Not sure what your consultants thoughts on this are though. Hope you get it sorted...lots of luck.

Lizzie
Back to top Go down
chelle
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptyTue 03 Aug 2010, 6:58 pm

My consultant told me a fortnight ago that she wanted to get me as close to 39 weeks as possible. I begged the Dr's last night to deliver me. I really feel that if this carries on we wont both have a favourable outcome. No one seems to listen though. I honestly believe that there's prob a shortage of scbu beds right now and that's why they're taking these risks.
Back to top Go down
Bell
Forum Friend
Bell

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptyTue 03 Aug 2010, 7:33 pm

Hi Chelle,
I completely agree with the other lady's. They need to deliver you early. Its all the classic signs of PE. Do whatever you need too, to make yourself heard. PE just gets worse the longer its left. They should have at the very least admitted you for close observation and bed rest.
Take care
Bell.xx
Back to top Go down
Wendles
Forum Friend
Wendles

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptyTue 03 Aug 2010, 10:08 pm

Hi Chelle

Well done on getting to 35 weeks. You're probably not thinking it right now but it's a good place to be.
I can't believe your consultant wants to get you to 39 weeks. Like the other ladies have said I would push for delivery sooner rather than later. Maybe you could ask to see another consultant.

The symptoms you describe are exactly how I was when I had Melissa. I had the swelling for about 3 weeks before it became really bad and then I couldn't even walk on the straight 200 yards to my car. Please don't let yourself get to this stage. When I had Elliot my consultant wanted me to get to the magic 34 weeks. Once I'd hit that so long as I was PE free she allowed the pregnancy to continue but once the head was engaged she wanted him delivered as he was better out than in and I wasn't even displaying any PE symptoms.

Stay strong.
Best wishes
Wendy

Back to top Go down
emmie
Forum Friend
emmie

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptyWed 04 Aug 2010, 10:41 am

Hi Chelle,

So sorry you're going through this and the hospital don't seem to be listening. My Consultant said that if I get to 38 weeks with NO signs whatsoever of PE, he wold deliver me then- obviously earlier if needed. I really can't believe your Consultant said he would let you get that poorly, especially with your past history!

Is there anyway you could ask to see a different Consultant or take someone with you for moral support and tell your Consultant exactly how you are feeling? He needs to know this is not on!!

Like the other ladies have said, 35 weeks is a GREAT place to be and with everything you've been through the Consultant should be taking into account what you want too.

Hang in there, we're all here for you.
Emma
Back to top Go down
amanda9
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptyWed 04 Aug 2010, 9:02 pm

chelle I agree with all the others. ... .you really need to be pushing for a second opinion. My daughter, by the way, was born at 29 weeks because of PE and came home at 35½ weeks
Back to top Go down
Mossy
Forum Friend
Mossy

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 7:26 am

Poor you having to go through this.

I am not medically trained at all but it does seem as though lots of hospitals are trying to leave ladies until they are 39 weeks. I don't know whether it is linked but my consultant was saying to me there are links between cases of ADHD and early births (between 34-38 weeks)She isn't talking about really prem births as they cover other risk factors too. So a lot of hospitals are trying to keep the baby in the womb as long as possible.
Back to top Go down
chelle
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 8:03 pm

Hi Everyone,
I got to see my own consultant on Thursday. My bp was 158/112. She has finally agreed that it is not practical to try and get me to 39 weeks so we are aiming now for 37. She is taking bloods and checking baby every 2 days to check for damage and if the tests come back abnormal before 37 weeks she will deliver. Feel a bit better but still wish they would just deliver. The bp is making me feel horrible. They have doubled my labetalol too which I suppose contributes to the feeling of being unwell. Thanks for replies everyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please tell me if this is normal   Please tell me if this is normal Empty

Back to top Go down

Please tell me if this is normal
Page 1 of 1