Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sparkling
Forum Friend

Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine Empty
PostSubject: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 12:26 pm

Why can not the amount of protein in my urine be constant?

Last thursday it was 2+ and this morning it's a trace/ +. It's all over the place.

I don't understand.

Can anyone explain why it fluctuates on a daily basis?
Back to top Go down
emmie
Forum Friend
emmie

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 12:12 pm

Obviously not Liz, and not a doctor, but I have read that dipsticks used to test urine aren't that that accurate and quite often fluctuate depending on how hydrated you are. Could that maybe have something to do with it?

Maybe ask your doc if you could have a 24 hour urine catch if you are worried, because they are a lot more accurate.

Keep going, you have done so well and are nearly there!!

Take care
Emma x
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptyTue 06 Apr 2010, 9:16 pm

Hi Sparkling,

Yours is a really good question and one that MW often get caught on.
How often have you heard of high protein when tested by the commonuity MW & sent to DAU, but by the time the staff there test it, there is none?

Emmie is partly right, alot has to do with hydration and alot has to do with the skill of the tester! Then there is the cross contamination issues & the dipstix are in date / havent been left open etc...

Of course the dark possibility is true proteinuria. Even this can fluctuate as your body responds to what is going on from moment to moment. Yes a 24 hour creatinine is still the 'gold standard' but if in any doubt the PCR or protein creatinine ration test is much quicker & gives a very good clue to what is going on. I'd suggest this to your care givers & cross reference it with the normal PE bloods.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptyThu 08 Apr 2010, 2:58 pm

thanks Liz

I'm at the hospital again tomorrow for more monitoring so will ask them more about the protein fluctuations. I seem to be on a steady trace to + this week.

However my BP is absolutely fine.

I'm finding it all very frustrating and a bit fed up now.

I still have headaches, started with epigastric pain but the ranitidine has sorted that, and pain in my right kidney.

It's hard to know if i'm just symptom spotting or have a genuine problem at the moment.

35+5 and still going strong. Not sure if i'm going to make my delivery date or if things will move forwards. Watch this space.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptyThu 08 Apr 2010, 8:11 pm

Good luck at the appointment tomorrow Sparkling.

Ranitidine would only help if it were a genuine gastric problem. If the pain was really PE related, it would probably have little effect.
I hope this helps.

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptyThu 08 Apr 2010, 9:35 pm

Liz tHats good to know. It is very easy to end up in a bit of a tiz about these things. Tomorrow is my last asprin so I am really ticking off the milestones now. Gulp.
Back to top Go down
thaiba2000
Forum Friend
thaiba2000

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptyThu 08 Apr 2010, 9:50 pm

How far have you gone now sparkling? Dont worry, im sure everything will be fine. Well done for getting this far.
Back to top Go down
sparkling
Forum Friend

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptyFri 09 Apr 2010, 6:30 am

today i'm 35+6 so very very close to term.

My section is less than 4 weeks away. I think i might make it!
Back to top Go down
ingrid
Forum Friend
ingrid

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptySat 10 Apr 2010, 5:19 pm

Hello Sparkling

congrats for getting this far even with all the wobbles , Samantha is 15 weeks and had a trace of protien in her water has been sent of for more testing her BP is fine but she was told it could be just a water infection and Sam told her she is wanting to go all the time but no pain or stinging MW thinks its prob a infection if it is antibiotics will be there waiting for her when the test comes back and show infection

take care xx
Back to top Go down
thaiba2000
Forum Friend
thaiba2000

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine EmptySat 10 Apr 2010, 10:06 pm

35+6 weeks! bounce WELL DONE honey, im feeling so happy for you! Woo hoo! Just a few more weeks and then we can all hear some good news... I will be praying that it all carrys on going positve for you...mwah! XxXx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine   Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine Empty

Back to top Go down

Fluctuating Amounts of Protein in Urine
Page 1 of 1