Pre Eclampsia support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pre Eclampsia support

For Women & their families who have suffered with Pre Eclampsia, Eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, Pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and related conditions.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My story

Go down 
+12
Nicki D
emma29
HelenA
Abbie
alka
MrsCav
ingrid
Penny
Caroline
mouse
Liz Pidgley
Carrie06
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mouse
Forum Friend
mouse

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 20 Oct 2008, 2:39 pm

Sorry to hear your appointment didn't go so well, but really glad BP & urine OK. Hope time goes quickly for you so 20 week appt is here before you know it.
Lots of love
xxx
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 20 Oct 2008, 3:03 pm

Hi Paula,

Im sorry to hear that you didnt get the best out of your appointment that you had hoped for.
It is good news that BP & urine were behaving though. Im guessing you are about 18 weeks now so an appointment at 20 weeks isnt outside the perameters of acceptable (if my maths is correct!)
You said in an earlier post that it had been agreed to scan you more frequently after your 20 week one - did that include a doppler scan? If not ask for one as they are a very good tool to assess the efficiency of the placenta & 'benchmarking' how likely PE is likely to re-occur in this pregnancy.
If at anytime though you are uneasy about the care you are receiving then do say.

Those who have known me for sometime will have heard me say this before - but if your child was actually here would you accept substandard care if s/he needed it? Im guessing no - so just because your baby isnt actually in the world yet it doesnt make him/her any less of a person and is entitled to best care available.

Let me know if you need to chat something through.

Warm Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
http://www.preeclampsiasupport.com
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 20 Oct 2008, 3:38 pm

Your right liz i would stand up for my child and get what i wanted! I think it was just a 16+ weeks check and i expected more.

On the other hand i'm happy everything is ok with BP and urine. Bp was actually lower that it has been. They did say something about a doppler, saying i didn't need one as i'm taking asprin it wouldn't show anything but then i have a scan at 24 weeks which i think is the right time to do that. I will find out at my scan in 3 weeks (can't wait to see baby again).

Keep hanging in there mouse your nearly there Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 20 Oct 2008, 5:22 pm

Hi Paula
I'm sorry the appointment didn't go as expected. Repeating your story over and over is something I've come to accept - I'm at a loss why they can't flick open the notes and have a quick read. Ante-natal clinics are no better than meat markets in my opinion. At my hospital, it doesn't matter what time your appointment is at, it's what time you arrive at so have figured out that always best to get earliest appt and arrive 30 mins beforehand as I've seen the midwives writing time of arrival on my notes.....you can guess arriving at 9.28 for a 9.30 appointment didn't push me to top of the queue. Glad your BP/urine are behaving themselves. I hope your next appointment is better. Cx
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Oct 2008, 5:22 pm

Just a quick update - had 18 wk scan today and everything looking good so far. Most of baby is measuring at or nearly 19 weeks. BP is staying stable at 115/75 even though it was taken in the waiting room but wasn't really fazed by that as can't fault their care and urine is being good too. Doctor sneaked us 4 pics which are lovely to have as only have a few from 11 weeks - always feel a bit silly asking for scan pics when the point of it is to measure growth rather than provide me with pics. Hoping for a better night's sleep as didn't sleep at all last night. I haven't felt the baby move yet so was assuming the worst has happened.......will no doubt calm down once baby turns 18:) Cx
Back to top Go down
Caroline
Forum Friend
Caroline

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Oct 2008, 7:17 pm

Sounds like you had a really good appointment Carrie - long may it continue.

Nice you got a few pics and not silly of you at all - even though we have so much anxiety we're still just as entitled as everyone else to be excited by our babies piccies!

Lots of love
Caroline xxx

Last edited by Caroline on Tue 28 Oct 2008, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mouse
Forum Friend
mouse

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Oct 2008, 8:43 pm

Great news Carrie! So pleased it went well for you.
What's the plan now? Still 4 weekly scans?
Hope you BP continues to behave & that you feel some flutters soon.
xxxx
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Oct 2008, 10:45 pm

Hi Carrie,

Great News!
Sleep easy tonight.
Warm Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyTue 28 Oct 2008, 4:02 pm

Hi carrie i'm glad your scan went ok, it's not silly wanting a picture seeing your baby on the screen is amazing. Do you have a 20 week scan aswell?
My scan is another 1 and a half away and i've felt the baby move but not every day and sometimes not for a few days, so i was panaking just the same it's horrible to be so worried Sad .

Keep us informed and i'll let you know how i get on Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyTue 28 Oct 2008, 4:41 pm

Hi everyone, the scans will continue to be every 2 weeks until 28 weeks as I am now entering the time when the PE started to show so they want to keep a close eye. I'm not clear why the cut-off is 28 wks but I think it's a case of let's get to there and then see how things are. I asked about the anomaly scan yesterday as I have one booked for 22 weeks but they said to cancel it as the growth scans they do are pretty thorough and hope they will spot anything untoward. It looks like my care will continue to be at the fetal medicine unit rather than at the ante-natal clinic although the doctor said this was because of what I had been through.

Paula, glad you are feeling flutters - I think I am just designed to feel them at a late stage. I occasionally feel something (like right at the moment - baby must know it's being talked about). Good luck with the next scan.

Mouse, hope all is well with baby Samia -the pic is lovely!

Cx
Back to top Go down
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyFri 07 Nov 2008, 4:02 pm

Hi everyone.

Been for 20 week scan today and baby look fine if a little camera shy! Didn't get a god pic well one of it's back. BP spot on and urine good so i'm happy. Got another scan in 4 weeks and a midwife app in 2 so i'm being well monitered.

Overall i'm happy and hope to stay that way. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptySun 07 Dec 2008, 11:36 pm

Just a quick catch up to see how everyone is. Paula, how are things going...remind me how many weeks you are? Have you given up on housework yet? I am 24 weeks tomorrow and surprisingly, time seems to have flown by. I am still having 2 weekly scans which have been a great reassurance and next one is this Friday at 22+4. The baby has been growing well and at last scan at 22+4, estimated weight was 570g. Baby is happily kicking away and seeing my abdomen moving around is a great source of amusement. Have resisted finding out the sex of the baby and still unsure as to whether or not this is going to help.

It has been hard in a way approaching these milestones as Alice was 585g when she was born at 28+6 so everything associated with this baby is a big reminder. Not looking forward to Christmas at all and wishing the first three months of next year were over too but know that's not going to happen. The pre-eclampsia seems to have stayed away for the time being with urine still being clear and BP hovering around normal - it was 120/80 at last visit and diastolic is higher than booking (which I know is normal) but no-one seems too concerned - I just feel it is slowly creeping up. I have started packing my hospital bag, just in case but hoping it stays in the corner for quite a bit longer. It all seems a bit deja-vu at the moment but hopefully that won't continue.

Hope everyone is doing well. Cxx
Back to top Go down
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 08 Dec 2008, 5:51 pm

Hi everyone sorry it's been so long my internet hasn't been working. I'm 25 on wednesday i went for a scan on friday and the consultant said the baby was normal size and the chance of me getting PE again is slim. I'm so excited and happy but not holding my breath. Although they found glucose in my urine so it could be gestational diabetes but i hope it's not.

hope your all well i'll try and get on the internet soon and speak to you properly. Carrie try and enjoy xmas and i'll be intouch soon.
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Dec 2008, 11:47 am

Hi Paula, glad things are still going ok for you. On the subject on glucose and gestational diabetes, my little or rather not so little baby was estimated to be 856g at 24+4. Weight is on the 79th centile with the abdomen above the 97th centile so they are considering doing a GTT on me at 28 weeks. So if it's not one thing, it's another!!! I haven't had any glucose in my urine (stopped worrying about protein, now it's glucose!!!) but they said the blood glucose is more accurate. Anyway, out of guilt more than anything else, have cut back on the chocolate as feel I am affecting the baby with my non-stop munching. Back next Monday for a scan at 26 weeks and hoping the growth has leveled out a bit and baby was only having a little growth spurt! Cx
Back to top Go down
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I'am back on the internet now after god only knows how many weeks. All is well at the moment i went for my midwife appointment on the 18th dec and the glucose has gone i was guilty of scoffing too many sweets and cream cakes the night before! However baby is normal size and is doing fine.
I'm so glad to be normal for a change.

I bet that your happy baby is bigger rarther than smaller even if the thought of a big baby is daunting. (my husband james was 10lb 1oz at birth affraid ) I'm glad your not worrying about protien and let me know how your next scan goes. Mine is on the 9th jan at 29 weeks Very Happy .

Have a happy christmas and a great new year and keep in touch.
Love paula and ever increasing bump.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 2:01 pm

Hi Paula,

Great news that you & ever increasing bump are doing so well!
Long may it continue!

Hope you all have a great Christmas & New year.

Best Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyWed 24 Dec 2008, 5:09 pm

Hi Paula, glad things are going well for you. Had scan on Monday and baby still doing well - weight is on the 92nd centile. However, things fell apart when they tested my urine and picked up +1 protein. They did the PET bloods and sent urine off to quantify the amount of protein in it. Had to go back this morning for results and re-checking of BP (BP had been 120/70 on Monday) so blood results were fine and urine had gone down to trace of protein; BP was 100/60. Very relieved as they had said on Monday that I could be admitted to hospital today.....hospital bag was packed last night. Back for consultant appt on the 29th, then GTT on the 5th, scan on the 2nd when I'll be 28 weeks....fed up with the hospital but they have been pretty good although my husband and I seem to be the only continuity in the care and it's all a bit broken up with everyone responsible for their own little bit. Hope you have a nice Christmas. Carriexx
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptySun 28 Dec 2008, 10:56 am

Hi Carrie,

I hope this post finds you & baby well. I am sorry to hear things are wobbling and that you (& hubby) are the only continuum in your care.
You should have - as a good practice standard, a named midwife that you are able to contact. Given that it is Christmas holidays this maybe a bit more 'hit & miss' than usual but might still be worth a mention at your next visit?

Given that you are also 28 weeks and with your history, has the consultant discussed with you the possibility of steroids - just in case??? Again, maybe worth a conversation.

I really hope that the protein was not significant in terms of PE - but perhaps a UTI (or error in recording) but we will be here if you need us. (and for Hubby too)

Fingers & everything else crossed for you Carrie.
Warmest Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptySun 04 Jan 2009, 10:18 pm

Hi Liz, thanks for your message. Am not doing too badly at the moment. Urine is clear so no idea what the protein was all about - no infection and when they quantified it by PCR, the amount was neglibible.

My main frustration at the moment is the lack of joined up care - individually everyone is great at doing their job but collectively, there seems to be no-one who is taking responsibility for my overall plan of care. I presume this should be the consultant but after spending 2.5hrs on Friday waiting to see the consultant at the ante-natal clinic and ending up with the SHO, was in tears as I was so frustrated. It wasn't the SHO's fault; they just deal with the patients they are given but when I ask the doctor questions about the pulsatility index in the umbilical artery and why it is now closer to the 10% centile after being at the 50th 2 weeks earlier, she can't answer my questions as she doesn't know what it is.

It seems like my husband and I are the ones who have to make suggestions about my care - example 1: several weeks ago, husband asked consultant if I should get my BP checked on the weeks I am not at there for scans. Consultant response: "that would be a good idea". Example 2: on Friday, husband asked SHO if I should now be getting BP checked twice-weekly. SHO response: "that would be good". Talk about wanting to scream - my husband is a doctor of engineering - not obstetrics!!!

I have a GTT screen tomorrow and scan on Tuesday so might see the consultant then but no guarantees and just feel like giving up.

Other than that, have the most atrocious indigestion - no heartburn - just fairly constant pain below my ribs especially when sitting down. Pretty sure it's not the epigastric pain of PE but of course always in back of my mind. Off to slug down more Gaviscon. Sorry for all the moaning!!!
Cx
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyMon 05 Jan 2009, 1:21 pm

Hi Carrie,

Moan away if it helps! I really dont mind.

I can really appreciate your frustration - especially after all you have been through. It is your right to ask to see the consultant - dont let others put you off if this is something you want.
After all - the confidential enquiry into maternal & neonatal mortality said quite clearly, most cases were 'due to substandard care'.
Your consultant should be planning your care in some detail and you should at least be able to have your questions answered. If the SHO cannot answer them due to inexperience maybe then they too should be learning from the Boss - and you should feel confident you are getting the best care package available to you.
Dont be afraid to stamp your feet a bit if you need to.

Keep us posted re the GTT. Good luck

Liz
Back to top Go down
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyWed 07 Jan 2009, 10:28 am

Hi carrie,

I bet your heart stopped for a moment when they said they found protien!! I don't think it's very fair for you to have to tell them their job regarding your care, they should be doing everything in their power to give you the best care possible. My midwife suggested that the hospital will want me to see her every week for blood pressure but we'll wait and see what they say on friday!!

Could you change consultant or even hospital if your not happy. The only complaint i have is i have to wait for 2 hours everytine i go and have to explain my previous pregnancy to every person i see they could just read my notes but they can't be bothered after 2 hours you would have thought they would look at it at least!!
Anyway i've got my 29 week scan on friday and i am dertermined for them to tell me my birth options as everytime i ask they say lets see what happens but i should at least know what my options are as i know what happens when it comes early but not if it's on time!!

I also wanted to know what a GTT is i've never heard of it.
Back to top Go down
Carrie06
Forum Friend
Carrie06

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyWed 07 Jan 2009, 11:28 am

Hi Paula, thanks for your message. Much the same with me in that I have to wait a considerable length of time for most appointments but don't mind too much as long as I get some satisfaction out of the appointment. On the whole, people do seem to read my notes before seeing me but on the occasions that they haven't, it can be quite distressing having to go over it all again.

The GTT is the glucose tolerance test where they make you fast overnight, take blood, drink lucozade and after 2 hrs take blood again to check how you have handled the glucose - it's used in pregnancy as a test for gestational diabetes. I was sent for it as baby is so big (weight is on 99.2 centile) so at the moment I am measuring more like 31 wks than 28.

Anyway, we actually saw the consultant yesterday and he did the scan as well and think he was quite shocked about the size of the baby. The GTT was negative which is a huge relief. We did have some discussion of birth options and the potential weight of the baby is now driving these. I've always had the option of a CS because of 1st time around but he said yesterday that due to the size and risk of shoulder dystocia with the baby and scar rupture, it would be a section at 38-39 wks if I didn't go into labour on my own. I think they don't like to make too many plans as I guess things can change very quickly so i hope you get something out of them when you see them for your scan.

Baby is weighing about 1600g/3 and half pounds at the moment but that's probably a bit of an overestimation as scans aren't 100% - certainly hope it's not an underestimation.

I am happy with the consultant and seeing him sometimes is a bit of a challenge but when we do see him, our minds are put at ease. He was the one who saved Alice from a termination so for that I'll be eternally grateful to him regardless of anything else. I am back at 30 wks for a scan and I think after that, they won't be as regular as baby is doing so well. It will then be countdown to delivery which will be around 3rd week in March. Good luck with your 29 wk scan -do you have any idea of the weight of your baby at the moment - looking for someone who has a bigger one than me:)
Cx
Back to top Go down
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptyFri 09 Jan 2009, 2:35 pm

Hi everyone

It's me again you must be so board with my posts by now!!
I've been for my 29 week scan today and everything is fine they said the baby is normal size but didn't give me a weight estimate.
BP was 122/68 i can't believe it and urine neg. It was 29 weeks when my BP rocketed so i'm happy to say i'll be going longer than the 30 weeks like last time.

They are also happy for me to just go into labour naturally and have a VBAC so i'm thrilled.
cheers
They do seem confident that the PE won't rear it's ugly head but can never be sure.
Only 11 more weeks to hold on.

It sounds like carrie will be having her baby before me at this rate, hope your ok and keep intouch.
love paula
Back to top Go down
MrsCav
Forum Friend
MrsCav

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptySat 17 Jan 2009, 3:15 pm

Hi everyone.
Hope all is well with everyone, have you been for another scan yet carrie? is the baby still quite big?
I found out off my midwife that my baby weighs about 2lb 15oz when i went for my 29 week scan so i presume thats normal size as they didn't say anything.

Got to go to the midwife once a week now and have another scan in 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Liz Pidgley
Admin
Liz Pidgley

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 EmptySun 18 Jan 2009, 10:07 am

Hi Paula,

2lb 15oz is a great weight for a 29 weeker!

Well done you - keep on cooking!

Warm Wishes
Liz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My story - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My story   My story - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

My story
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next